Double vision default buildings

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Double vision default buildings

Post by trewinb »

I have just spent about a week of free time uninstalling all of my FSX, SDK's and FSDS etc from the programme (x86) directory and reinstalling clean into a seperate drive to avoid Windows 7 trying to rule my life. It has served it's purpose as I can now actually use FSDS and create scenery BGL's. As I detest the horrible FSX London landmarks I started a test project by replacing Greenwich Hospital with an accurate model. Low and behold I am now seeing two offset versions of all of the London landmark buildings. The Millenium Dome is bad enough without two of them.

Does anyone have any idea what I may have done to create this problem? I did save my old scenery and texture base files to avoid having to reinstall too many addons. Is there any way in which FSX can read from two different places? The buildings are offset by about a hundred metres from each other.

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Double vision default buildings

Post by trewinb »

Re: two copies of London buildings in FSX
I have had no reply on this problem so I'll explain a little more:

I believe that I have isolated the problem to the London.bgl in the Scenery\EURW\scenery folder. I have removed this folder and the buildings are no longer there. Reinserting the .bgl into the main scenery folder recreates the problem. Therefore I am concluding that I have a faulty London.bgl. Does this make sense?

I have done a quick tour of other major cities and the buildings only have a single occurance. The duplication appears to occur only in London. Baffling!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

The default london.bgl has the buildings misplaced. There is a modified version you can download that corrects this. Did you have that in your previous install, as it sounds like you have both active.
Dave G.

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by trewinb »

Thanks for the reply, Dave. The answer is no. I did not want the possibility of a conflict and so did a complete uninstall. I had too many problems with FSX in the c:\programmes(x86) location. In trying to solve this problem I carefully went about erasing all previous scenery directory copies once I had established that FSX was up and running "properly". Of course I had not flown down to London yet (I usually fly out of Leeds Bradford).

Given the fact that two instances of each are displaying but offset from each other it did appear that FSX was reading two bgl's simultaneously, but having eliminated all but one from my system I think it must be a corrupt file.

You mentioned a corrected version. Any idea how I might find it? I have googled the file name but can only find my own posts.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

If I remember correctly, it was available on Horizions web site, however that site has been down for a while now (new site "coming soon!")

It may not be of much use to you unless you use GenX scenery anyway, but I've uploaded my copy here: http://daveg.cbfsim.org/files/london.zip
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I don't know if it will be of any use but here's the default london.bgl Londonbgl

This is to SP2/Acc level ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by trewinb »

I don't understand this at all!

Dave G:
With your london.bgl I had no buildings at all, just the regular autogen and my own addon.

Dave B:
With your London.BGL I had the ongoing double buildings problem. Does this default file work on your system?

Thanks for the help but this may take some time. Hopefully it won't mean a reinstall.
I will try removing my addon zone and see what occurs.

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by trewinb »

As expected, removing all addon scenery had no effect whatsoever, except that I now have two copies of Microsoft's Greenwich instead of my one. I'll reinstall mine.

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by trewinb »

SOLVED!! Thanks for your help, Dave B and Dave G. I did a file search in the complete FSX directory and found a second file!! It was in the addon\scenery directory, which was the one place I hadn't checked before as it is a default FSX directory. There is a slight buildings location problem with the file presently installed, but I will simply slot the one I just found into the EURW \scenery directory in place of the default and I should then have the buildings in their corrected locations.

I can now get back to scenery design. Have to get that poly count down!!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Phew.. that's a relief :thumbsup:

I was just about to post saying I didn't have double-vision over London (this is the first time I've flown there would you believe and got caught up goofing) :lol: Glad you're sorted anyway ;)

EDIT.. I wish I'd not looked now having found Nelsons Column has moved to Horse Guards Parade 8) :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!