FSX reinstall issue, help please !!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Re: FSX reinstall issue, help please !!

Post by Seaking »

Thats part of the problem Darren, there are no files what so ever on my system for fsx, most of them went with the crashed hdd, this is why I'm stumped
I've tried everything I can find on the net, still loads to repair or uninstall then I get the error 1605 saying it's not installed

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Effoh wrote:Hi,

Perhaps a clue here?

Rgds,

Colin
Thanks Colin, it's asking for pw and login info, if your a member there could you please post up the info on here or send it to me in
a PM please, thanks. If I had hair I would pull it out.

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Hullo mate,

Apologies for forgetting you needed a log on.

OK....here goes.

1. Beer poured?
2. Breathe.....wooooossssssaaaaaaaaa.
3. Navigate to C:\Program Files (Program Files (x86) if running 64 bit W7)\Installshield Installation Information
4. In there you will find a whole series of folders with names like {9527A496-5DF9 .............
5. One of these has your old FSX install details in it. It needs deleting.
6. You may have to look at all of them to work out which is which, unless you can remember when you last installed FSX, in which case you can go by the date.
7. You may wish to consider moving the folder out of Installshield Installation Information instead of deleting whilst testing just in case!
8. When all done, insert DVD and re-install.

I'm around for the next hour-ish so yell if this isn't clear

Rgds,

C

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Seaking wrote:Thats part of the problem Darren, there are no files what so ever on my system for fsx, most of them went with the crashed hdd, this is why I'm stumped
I've tried everything I can find on the net, still loads to repair or uninstall then I get the error 1605 saying it's not installed
Ah, as you couldn't see the forum post above.

What I meant was if you can't find the correct folder for FSX that will be in that folder Effoh mentions, you wouldn't have found it as it probably won't have the search criteria you were using, -plus it's a hidden folder.

Moved the enitre contents of it (which is in effect an install log) so that it is empty, then do the FSX reinstall. The folder it creates in there will be called something like the ones below, if it matches a previous folder you moved out, that's the old FSX one, delete that and put all the rest of the install folders back in.

The folder will look like this.

Just move whats currently in there to a safe place and install FSX sounds like it will work then. You could even put everything back in there as the current FSX will be attached to the new folder so the old one won't be used if it's still in there. I don't know as I've not done that myself but it's worth a go as long as you don't delete anything permanently :)

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Thanks for the info, yep already tried that one, moved out the 3 folders with setup exe's in them, tried again and got the same thing, either repair or uninstall.
I just don't know what file it's seeing that makes the install thinks it's still installed. I've tried every utility out there with no resolution. I've even used the fsx reg repair
tool which puts the missing flight sim reg entries back. I put the old fsx.exe which I had in another folder back to where the sim was installed and tried to repair and uninstall
just keeps saying "this is for installed apps only"
Frankly, I'm stumped. I won't reformat just yet in case I find something else. Been reading for two days now.

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Seaking wrote:Thanks for the info, yep already tried that one, moved out the 3 folders with setup exe's in them, tried again and got the same thing, either repair or uninstall.
I just don't know what file it's seeing that makes the install thinks it's still installed. I've tried every utility out there with no resolution. I've even used the fsx reg repair
tool which puts the missing flight sim reg entries back. I put the old fsx.exe which I had in another folder back to where the sim was installed and tried to repair and uninstall
just keeps saying "this is for installed apps only"
Frankly, I'm stumped. I won't reformat just yet in case I find something else. Been reading for two days now.
On a note I just checked the install folder again, it didn't create a new folder on the last time I tried, this is gonna be something so simple if I even find it out.

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

CRACKED IT !!!!!!!!!

I had read about the installshield installation folder, I was in there two days ago and removed 3 files leaving two. In the remaining two folders
were set up files but seemed nothing to do with FSX. Reading an old newsgroup this morning someone actually posted the name of the file
which is FSX, in case anyone comes across this issue, remove this folder 9527A496-5DF9-412A-ADC7-168BA5379CA

I'm happy to see I'm now installing FSX, luckily I had my fsx.cfg file and many others backed up. Thanks for all the help and input.

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

Good to hear that you have FSX up and running.