Demise of Swiftsure

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Demise of Swiftsure

Post by TSR2 »

Just spent 3 hours going through that whole thread. Great find Garry! :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Did you see the pic of the guy going after the Spitfire with an axe?! :-O If I stare at this long enough will it make all those bad airplane pictures leave my head? :worried: ;)

Brian

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

On those shots of G-APES being chopped, the date given is 2009! :-O But it was of course in the mid '90s.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Not noticed that Chris...mid nineties it was

I tend not to take much notice of captions

There are a lot of pics of BEA RS Viscount as 1970's for example :doh:

Odd seeing a Merchantman with the windows opened up...they remained there as before but with plate replacing the perspex to save weight.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeedie..

Superb came to Brooklands in Oct 96 and Swiftsure had been retired the year before so Garry is bang-on with mid-90's. Gad knows where 2009 came from! 8) Wonder what happened to the stbd crew door as the EMids team don't have it on Swifties nose section to this day *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello Garry,

Yup your certainly right with your first post, it brings tears to the eyes to think what has gone, nowdays, with preservation in people's minds where possible, its better thats for sure, its just a shame it took so long for it to happen!

I shudder now when i think that i helped my brother-in-law break up a DC 3 that came from the King of Jordan back in 1976, i only wish i had saved some of it but back then it was a job,

Cheers,

Roger
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Here's one that needs saving before it's too late while we still can.

The only Supermarine Swift F4 left, still outside Sheppards Stores in Herefordshire.

April 2010 - http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1228086/

Seems to have gone downhill a lot in the last 3 years although I hope that's just cosmetic. IIRC offers have been made to purchase it but the owner has been holding out for more, more than it's worth ever since he sold the previous resident Spitfire for an amount less than it was sold on for.

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Haven't gone through the link in full but do they mention the Walter Soplata Collection anywhere?

The farm in the US that has/had very rare aircraft like a Twin Mustang.

http://pacaeropress.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3243121

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

DaveB wrote:Put blame firmly at the feet of Rolls Royce. Had HCA been assured of Tyne spares, both Swifty and Superb may still be flying or at least only recently retired. Same goes for the HL Belfast :(

ATB

DaveB B)smk
Which was odd to me what with the Tynes in the Transalls with the French, German and Turkish airforces that are scheduled to be in service till 2015. And the Tynes (2 of in each) used by the Royal Navy in the 5 active Type 42 Destroyers and active Type 22 Frigates?

Politics of business no doubt, or another reason, because spares must be available to support them.

Ps. There are also 13 Type 23 Frigates that each used 2x Spey engines.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The Tynes in the Belfast were similar to the Vanguard and completely different to all the other Tynes :(

Even in the seventies there were spares shortages and RR bought five of the ten Belfast just to grab the engines. :-O

This is why the starter problem was not fixed with Superb as CL-44 type etc can't supply the parts and also why Heavylift were looking to source parts off the Vanguard for the Belfast. :'(
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."