It caught up with me

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

It caught up with me

Post by airboatr »

Age, that is - in the eye department as all other functions are working properly. B)smk

I went to the optometrist yesterday and received diagnosis of a stigmatism in my left eye, heavy, and light in my right.

prescription to remedy - progressive lenses as all three fields of vision are lacking , short - medium - long

frames - titanium ...and feather light

high impact resistant lenses

The latest in photochromic (grey)

clip on polarized (grey) shades for driving and flying

nine ,- cough cough cough hundred hack hack cough .. dollars...

anyone have the number for a cardiologist ....

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: It caught up with me

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

That's another one in the visually impared club.. welcome aboard Joe :lol: I hung on until I was 51 before going for 'proper' glasses though my near vision started going duff at 45. Poked my head around the back of my pc and couldn't read the symbols on the soundcard :-O Thank goodness for color-coding :lol:
Mine have titanium frames too.. anti-scratch and varifocal lenses. £250 :( That sounds bad but I got 2 pairs for the price of one.. much easier to swallow ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Well those varifocals I'm wearing in my picture cost £400 several years ago and they are not photochromic so I would reckon yours are good value :lol:

decapod
Viscount
Viscount

Post by decapod »

Going for my first eye test this weekend :worried: - my arms are not long enough now to read stories to my son.
Paul Gausden
~~~~~~~~~~~
3D modelling blog - http://decapod99.wordpress.com/

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Ah so Dave

Reading well in Reading then < snickers>

Well, I'll tell ya Dave, :lol: ( sry couldn't resist that) I thought about going to a discount place like Costco or Lens Crafters but being my first pair in 30 years I thought I'd better stay with the doctors in house optician.

Firstly I get a 90 day satisfaction on the precription so If I chose to much correction ( casuing some slanting of objects) I can simply return them
and have less correction in the glass.
And two years on the frames, (wow these are nice - no fasteners whatsoever all pressure connections)

Plus I did get a 30.00 discount from the doctor ( people i work for sent me there , he's been taking care of them for ever) and the optician doubled that, then 10 bucks off the clip ons and then the regular discount from list price

The Glasses alone were 900. so after discount and including the Exam it is was 900.00 rounded off.

I do have to say though... 750.00 flipping dollars? for glasses that weight shite, in comparision I thought of tings I own like my laptop .. I paid 400.00 on sale was regular 700.00 and do you know who many parts are up in there? 24 carat gold plating ...... dedicated Nvidia graphics .....and it's dual core man..... Intel :agree:

I said 30 years in the start, I wore them from 5 years to 17 but didn't wear them much after 13. when i went into the Army I was told I didn't need them anylonger 20/40 or something..
but that was probably BS , figuring the DOD was just wanting to save a feww bucks on me to afford the million dollar hammers the buy.... bastards

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

CTRL +

:)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

hold on I need to go flying to catch that one

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Joe :hello:

Strangely enough I've worn glasses since I was five....born with a 'lazy' left eye, astigmatism...basically I'm blind in one eye and can see s*d all out of the other :lol:

In my late teens my glasses broke, took them to be fixed but never collected them...later joined the Army and like you passed all the tests without them and managed for a good few years, although the RSM screaming 'Effort, laddie, effort....!!!' may have had something to do with that :agree:

Started wearing glasses again when I was working as a professional modelmaker and couldn't see the toe-nails on a 54mm Centurion :lol:

I've tried the cheap route, looking through a couple of pint beer mugs...but you end up with with a wet lap :lol:

So, to see straight you have to pay for it, although nothing will fix the fact that I'm left-handed and right-eyed..

....I don't play pool

Derek :lol:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hwo needs a neyetesst? nOt mme! *-) EriTc
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I tried the varifocal approach about 3 years ago. Thought it might help with the problem of trying to look at PowerPoint presentations, etc and write notes without having to keep taking glasses off and on. Or even looking up from the desk to see what was happening the other side of the office.

Wife has varifocals and no problem from Day 1 - I couldn't get on with them and even had them remade. Still no joy but fortunately on a "money-back" guarantee. So two pairs returned (special offer!) and £650 better off (found the old receipt this week and couldn't believe how much I paid the optician).

And now I work from home almost all of the time so no office and the presentations are on a PC on my desk. :doh: