numbers question

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

HawkerHart
Meteor
Meteor

numbers question

Post by HawkerHart »

Plenty of clever people about on this forum, so I have no doubt that someone will know(always start with a compliment :agree: )
If I was to write my mobile number(i live in the uk) in the format 'Country - Area - Number' would I write +44 07814 010101 or as I suspect +44 7814 010101 or maybe it makes no difference?

Had a quick scout on google but couldn't find anything that seemed definitive.

Not my number by the way :tunes:
Tom

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: numbers question

Post by simondix »

Do mobiles have country and area codes. Seeing they are mobile it seems a bit pointless.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I have one of the members mobile phonenumber here, and I "dial" in this format: +447814010101 (leaving out the "0" before the "7")
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

HawkerHart
Meteor
Meteor

Post by HawkerHart »

Thanks I'll use that format then :thumbsup:

I was a little confused by the country/area/number idea at first, but thinking about the number of mobile phones in the world, we'd soon run out of possible numbers, or end up with numbers 40 figures long. Although not sure what happens if I took this phone abroad, would the number stay +44, aaah, just confusing myself again 8) :wall:
Tom

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I phoned on my mobile from Germany to a mobile in UK and I did not dial 44. Perhaps the phone did it automatically. It was on my saved numbers.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Phoning from mobiles when overseas appears to not need the UK area code, in certain countries at least, as I've called/texted numbers in my phone book which didn't have the country code. I'm assuming this is because when the phone registers with the foreign network it has to tell it where it's from, otherwise they couldn't charge you properly.
Do mobiles have country and area codes. Seeing they are mobile it seems a bit pointless.
Mobiles have an area code, although it's not for a geographic area it just indicates they're a mobile number in the UK it's anything starting 07XXX. I believe the 07 series have different ranges allocated to different phone networks. They have the country code of the country they're registered in so +44 for a UK one that way the international dialling system can connect to them correctly.
As I understand it, if a call is made to a UK mobile that's in France then the call is routed via the UK, irrespective of where the caller is located, even if they're in France. Certainly my phone bill appears to have confirmed that a couple of times!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Another option is: +44 (0)7814 010101

The idea is that if you are in the 44 area you keep the "0", otherwise you drop it.

None of my US work colleagues ever bother with +1. Seems they just assume everyone knows. Or sometimes they don't even know about international dialling. Had to explain to one what to do to phone me and that was a senior manager :wall: