Grumman Duck for FS2004/FSX

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Grumman Duck for FS2004/FSX

Post by cstorey »

If this was an unfounded allegation of piracy let us hope either that Icarus is insured for libel ( he's going to need it) or that he has no assets to go at . Otherwise, life is liable to get a whole lot more interesting for him unless he can prove that his allegations of piracy were correct
Last edited by cstorey on 14 Apr 2011, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Darren :)

No.. I don't think it breaks any rules ;) Tks for keeping us up to speed :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

DarrenL wrote:And now rather cheekily Icarus has taken a completely different thread on SoH about 2 people sharing pirated software and is trying to claim it is about his Duck being stolen, well the thread in question is only about sharing (I presume sending pirated software via the SoH internal messaging system which is how they have been found out). And is nothing about his rather poor and inaccurate Duck version being release as a freeware model, which it of course isn't and my best friend Stevie Wonder told me that. They have posted it on the Icarus main webpage and via Facebook (which I don't do it's on the website as well) with a Sites to avoid warning about SoH. So blind and stupid. They should grow some and move on.
I can't say much for obvious reasons but I would like to point out that as far as I am aware (and I am on the staff at SOH) it was not the SOH PM system that was being used to share pirated files. As I understand it the two people in question were on a private file sharing forum/site specializing in pirated files which had been infiltrated by a commercial FS developer and he blew the whistle once he had gained sufficient evidence that his recently released product was being illegally shared on the site.
Larry

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Thanks for clearing that bit up. Doesn't excuse Icarus though for using that as some kind of anti-SoH rant on his website though.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Ooo let me see, now that took all of ........ at least 20 seconds looking at the various pics on the two site to establish that this is NOT the same model. Besides being FS9 vs FSX there is the little matter of bump mapping on one of them. Guy really needs to get over himself.

Roger
Comet
Comet

Post by Roger »

What prompted the closing of threads at SOH was the fact that the single source download Avsim R US had taken down the link, so clearly they were worried by icarus claims so we would have been stupid to have resisited after their withdrawal of the file. However after the investigations of the 2 models had taken place we were happy to open the closed threads. We may even host the Duck if the designer gives his permission.
So Paul K, running a high profile site like SOH isn't easy and pleasing all the people all the time is impossible; I'm just sorry you saw our deliberations as laughable.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Roger,
For what its worth I think SOH have handled a difficult situation as well as could have been done. I've no doubt you guys were able to see as the rest of us did that they were two different models fairly quickly, but you did have to give the icarus chap a chance to produce some evidence. We have thebenefit here of experiencing him the other year and realised after a few days he was a bit of a character. Hopefully the chap behind the freeware one will take you guys up on your offer to host the model.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Roger wrote:What prompted the closing of threads at SOH was the fact that the single source download Avsim R US had taken down the link, so clearly they were worried by icarus claims so we would have been stupid to have resisited after their withdrawal of the file. However after the investigations of the 2 models had taken place we were happy to open the closed threads. We may even host the Duck if the designer gives his permission.
So Paul K, running a high profile site like SOH isn't easy and pleasing all the people all the time is impossible; I'm just sorry you saw our deliberations as laughable.
Roger, please accept my apologies. I'm sure you and the other moderators run the site as best you can, given the large number of members. You banned Simon Evans ( Snave ) and that surely was a mark of wise stewardship. :cheers:

Roger
Comet
Comet

Post by Roger »

Ha ha,
He keeps trying to get back in with a variety of new handles. :wall:

Cheers,

Roger.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Now that it has been established that this isn't pirated, does anyone know where the Duck can be found? The cache method detailed at SOH doesn't work for me in any of my browsers and a search only brings up forum threads related to the ill-founded accusations.

It would be a shame if a clearly talented modeller gives up on FS because of these accusations. If a developer thinks that a freeware model is a threat to their pay version there's a very simple answer.......improve their own offering :wall:

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett