Fokker F27

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Re: Fokker F27

Post by JohnWillimas »

Yepp, that's what I think it is.

If you make sure you don't hit reverse thrust it touches down sweet as a nut. Nudge into the negative and sproing!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Garry I thought there was I am sure the F27 in and out of Brum most nights on its Paris freight run had it...I think *-)
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There should be a powerful braking effect just on the ground pitch the props automatically go into for 'disc braking'

So if that is powered up in reverse it will be far, far too much

It might be that the auto disc braking had to be set up as an automatic reverse thrust to work in the sim so not activating the actual reverser will cause the correct braking effect. *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

HI Tony :hello:

Crossed posts :lol:

You may be thinking of the roar the props give when they go into negative pitch but there is no powering up reverse thrust

All Darts and Dart props were reverse capable if engineered into the design but only the HS.780 had reverse thrust that I know of...I'm not sure about the Breguet Alize

But certainly none of the common civil types or military Argosys had reverse although the effect of prop braking is noisy and powerful and does give the impression of a reverser.
Garry

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I imagine you'd get into serious problems holding down the F2 key although I can't say I've tried it.

All you need to do is fly it with 26' flap at Vref+15, normally 105-110kt or thereabouts, select flap 40' at 400ft aal and arrive at 90 kt. Almost, but not quite, close the throttles, hold it off and a slight flare to get a smooth touch down, then close the throttles.

Then the propellers will go in to ground fine, or a flat pitch, providing a powerful brake; you will hear the sound as they do that. (Look at a photograph of a stationary prop in a Dart powered aeroplane; that is zero pitch, which ,when rotating, becomes a big flat disc, and is like an airbrake ;) )

There is definitely no reverse pitch on any F.27 variant, it was only developed fror the HS780 I believe.

It's something I maybe should have thought of, but has been the same throughout all previous versions, edit this line (aircraft.cfg) to the value zero and you won't be able to get reverse;

min_throttle_limit=-0.250000

cheers

Fraser

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Thanks, Fraser, that does the job. I was slipping back into reverse thrust with the throttle control on my joystick : this has cured it.

No more cartwheels down the runway! :welldone: :welldone:

(plus - many thanks for the panel :thumbsup: : I'm enjoying recreating AirUK flips between EGSH & EHAM.)

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Thanks Fraser and Garry for explaining that I am thick :doh:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol:

Hi Tony :hello: ...As I mentioned above, it's easy to think they did have it given the noise they made on landing.

I would say that most folks think they do ;)
Garry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

While the Allison 501/T56 has reverse capability, it is in much the same position as the Dart in that most people mistake the props entering "Ground BETA" on landing as the engines entering reverse when in fact, most landings reverse thrust isn't used, no matter whether you're in a C-130, P-3/L.188, or CV-580. The braking effect of those huge wide-chord Aeroproducts and Hamilton Standard blades is more than enough to stop the plane in 2000-3000 feet. Using reverse thrust, even heavily loaded, can make the entire landing roll well under 1000 feet. I was especially impressed one day when one of the Air Tahoma pilots landed one of the CV-580's at max landing weight and stopped it in approx. 600 feet without using excessive wheel braking.

Plymouthair
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Plymouthair »

Really nice work on Mike's Fokker 27 Fraser, thanks very much :thumbsup: