Photo's from Brize Norton

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Re: Photo's from Brize Norton

Post by Trev Clark »

He, hee...I love the wet starting Tristar, not seen anything that big do it before.
ATB Trev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I sent a link to this thread to my team leader at Brooklands.. he worked on TriStars with BA and was very fond of the old girl. This is what he had to say re that smoke..
Re the “WONDERFUL” TriStar one of the problems was oil sitting in the intakes & compressor case.

When the engine was shut down it used to windmill backwards & the oil would leak.

The method of sealing was labyrinth seals, with air on one side & oil on the other so until the air pressure built up, from the IP compressor, oil would still leak out.

Looking at the picture I notice the door 1 right is open, so it could be on maintenance possibly having had an engine change.

The first start was always very interesting as the whole aircraft used to disappear in the smoke, the inhibiting oil being ejected!!
And there you have it ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

And I thought it was the piston rings! :doh:

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

And I thought it was the piston rings!
.Yeah,piston broke like me. :doh: Ok I'll get my coat. :hide: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Paul, nice pics

Re the red, all digital cameras havethe tendency to oversaturate red for some reason. If you post process, then (I use Corel because the licence was cheaper but I'm sure Photoshop must have similar capabilities), if you saturate on the "Master" channel (i.e. all colours), then I would also desaturate on the Red channel by 5-10 points and that way you'll have more realistic reds and not ones that jump out of the photo.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I have no idea if its the same now but many years ago I met a chap who worked on the very early digital video camera

He told me about the red problem because the picture was created in red and the other colours added to it

He was saying how difficult it was to get rid of the red bias under all conditions.

The red base was also the reason why sometimes turquoise came out wrong. My wife had a jumper that was near turquoise but was green but the video made it blue..exactly the same error every time

On the colour wheel this is the exact opposite colour to red.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I'd be inclined to disagree that 'all' digital cameras over compensate for red. I don't believe my Canon's do and that includes my digital camcorder. When I last took 'moving' pics of one of our engine runs, the team leader off the Viscount was present with his Sony. The difference between the two (as far as red goes) is very marked. Still.. with digital shots, it's easy enough to remove the hue ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Glad you caught a 10 though Paul, time is getting short for the old girl....
Two of them over the North Sea in late afternoon today.

ZA148 had been flying around Nottingham/Derby at 1500 feet before heading out this way (red circle is home)

About FL80 by the time it got here - not good photos - getting dark (only 1/125 second), flash wasn't going to have a lot of effect ;)

But at least you can see what it is! And I heard it :tunes:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nice one Ian :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Dave

You may have realised that I now have one of those virtual radar thingies ;) (don't worry, cheap on eBay) so I can "see" VC10s before they get here - makes being ready with the camera easier. However by the time the daylight gets better again they may be all gone :(( .

Ian