All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by Jon.M »

That's a mighty fine photo Jon.

Derek
Thanks.
I have several other photos of my grandmothers family. They are mostly good quality studio portraits like this one. I've just checked, whilst this photo doesn't some of the others have "The Wykeham Studios" and addresses in Streatham and Balham High Rd. London printed on the back.
Some are in the form of postcards that weren't posted.

One poignant one is of my grandmother with her sister who died aged eleven. No cause is given.

Jon

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Ben Watson wrote:He certainly is a very handsome man.

Love the photo of your Mum Del, its funny how kids all look so cute when they're that age. :)
Shame I didn't inherit any of his good looks. :lol:

Jon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Here's another one with a military theme. The chap to the left of the screen (with corporals stripes) is my great grandad.. my dad's mom's dad. Not sure when the phot was taken or where but I know he made it through WWI and was still going when I was born though I don't remember him. He was both a gentleman and a gentle man from what I know. I'm lucky enough to have his medals ;)

Sadly, I've no info on who the other 2 chaps are. I doubt they're from the same regiment as neither cap badge looks like great grandad's which is South Staffs Regiment.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

DaveB wrote
I'm lucky enough to have his medals
You must feel very proud and honoured to have those medals Dave.This is certainly a fascinating and sometimes moving thread which you started back in August. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

DaveB wrote:Sadly, I've no info on who the other 2 chaps are. I doubt they're from the same regiment as neither cap badge looks like great grandad's which is South Staffs Regiment.
The other two gents are Royal Horse Artillery Dave ;)

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

AllanL wrote:As this is the Remembrance weekend, I thought I'd add this photo of an unknown soldier. I found the picture amongst family photos when clearing an uncle's flat, but have no idea who he is or where it was taken. Presumably he was a relative of mine and it would appear to be a WWI uniform, but beyond that I have no idea what the story behind the picture is.

Allan, I've had a closer look at the photo, the gent has a Red Cross badge on his right arm and is also wearing a Red Cross armband. This could suggest RAMC but the cap badge, though indistinct, is the wrong shape. He was obviously a medic, unit as yet unknown.

ATB,

Derek ;)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Blimey Derek.. how the heck can you tell that from so little :-O Cheers anyway.. it'll give me something else to look into ;)

I wish I knew more about how the army works.. what constitutes a Regiment e t c. I've known he was in the South Staffs for a long time but only found out yesterday that he was South Staffs, Royal Engineers.. thanks to Ancestry.co.uk (they hold many of the records not now held by The National Archive) :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

DaveB wrote:Blimey Derek.. how the heck can you tell that from so little :-O Cheers anyway.. it'll give me something else to look into ;)
:lol:

Royal Artillery cap badge, bandoliers, spurs and riding crops..I stand corrected however after a search, they are either RHA or Royal Field Artillery....everything was horse-drawn back then :doh: :lol:

As to how the army works....I never figured that one out myself *-)

Derek ;)

Airborne Signals

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Well it starts with a soldier.
Line several up and you have a column. Add a few more columns and you have a platoon.
Platoons make up a company and companies make up a battalion
Brigades are made up of two or more battalions
all of which are sub Armies hence Pattons Third Army / 82 Airbone /... e t c that make up an Army

And to the way they work querry, someone says sic em and they do it.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Oh dear.. I guess these things are obvious if you know what you're looking at. You mentioned spurs and blow me down, I see them! :lol:

As for the other.. I'd always imagined (for example) that to be in the Royal Engineers, you joined the Royal Engineers. It's all a mystery to me :lol:

Scott.. I wasn't aware of the history of Black Prince.. not that one anyway until I looked it up. :(

Joe.. thanks for your explanation :lol: As for a Royal Engineer being in the South Staffs Regiment.. I guess it's like me being a Radio Operator on a ship. Every ship has to have RO's as every Regiment has it's Engineers :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage