Happy Birthday STEPS and BritishEagle (52)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Re: Happy Birthday STEPS and BritishEagle (52)

Post by Rich »

Just checked my little Red Book and it was September 3rd 1965 we flew out, we went from Aldergrove as we flew as practically the whole squadron, the Regiment was Stationed in Omagh county Tyrone, probably cheaper to bring the Brit to us than us going to Heathrow or Gatwick plus more chance we would all make the flight.

The extended return trip was due to India / Pakistan becoming no fly zone due to their disagreement.

:cheers: :guinn:
Rich

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Rich, two questions; was it G-AOVE as in the photo at that website, and were the passengers seats turned round to face aft ? :)

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Paul sorry, no idea what the reg was, the post cards were part of the welcome aboard pack I actually posted it home from Bombay and have it still somewhere, never thought anyone would ask about reg.

I have a strong feeling the seats were forward facing as the startup in the dark in Istanbul produced some spectacular flames which frightened the life out of me and I saw it clearly from my seat just behind the left wing.

I do remember just prior to landing at Bombay the cabin crew dishing out large plastic bags for us to clean up the cabin so they did not have any locals onboard and just passed the bags out so time on the ground was minimised.
Rich

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for the info, Rich. There used to be an ex-British Eagle air hostess who worked at the now defunct Concorde Shop at Duxford who told me that only two of their Britannias had the seats facing the rear - G-AOVT being one of them. I just wondered if yours had been one of those two aircraft. Thanks again.

:cheers:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That's interesting as G-AOVT was not a standard Britannia 312 *-)

The later Britannias were 320 and had improved weights and range....CPA for example

Even though they were fitted as 312 and still called as such G-AOVT and one another (G-AOVS)? were built to 320 standard structurally. Just a case of building to the latest standard

I just wonder if Eagle used those on troop flights for that reason.

G-AOVT was a separate order anyway with the original BOAC order comprising of G-AOVA-S. When G-ANCA was lost, G-AOVA was taken over by Bristol and deleted from the BOAC order. G-AOVT was built to replace it.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Paul, thinking about our flight to Singapore it could well be a straight charter as opposed to a air trooping flight, as we were the complete plane load and as such used a shorter route since no one to unload or pick up whereas your flight took in British regular bases to be served on a regular basis were air trooping proper ??

Could well be the 2 with rearward facing seats were used as air troopers, Pretty sure the RAF Brit we flew to Libya on were rear facing that was in 1968.
Rich

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Rich

THE RAF ones would have been rearward facing it was an MoD requirement.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Hi Garry, yes the RAF were all rear facing never flew in one that was'nt, we flew on from Singapore a few days later, no need to consult my book,
Beverley, Friday the 13 of Sept, last record on the trannie before pulling the batteries was The Legions Last Patrol, very popular at the time, cant remember who did the record, Herp Alpert maybe, got lined up on the runway for take off, engines run up the bang, cowlings blew of right outer, taxi back to loading point and await the RAF putting the clam doors back on another Bev rigged for heavy drop, take the seats out of the one we vacated and fit them in our new steed.

Not a good day for flying.

:wasntme: :wasntme: :wasntme:
Rich