One jonesey might like...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

One jonesey might like...

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps..

I felt like getting rid of some money today so took the Skoda Fabia to a main dealer for it's 40k service and MoT. I'd booked a courtesy car to and expected a little runabout.. much like the one I've got only newer. Look what I got given...

The bloke at Parkview said 'we've only got the vRS left' towit I said 'you're shttin' me' :-O :lol: 'Are you ok with automatics?'.. err.. yeh, I guess so.. D and away you go. That's it he said ;) I then started it up and tried to drive off.. don't know why but I wasn't going anywhere. This is no normal automatic. Eventually, I shot forward then breathed on the brakes, thanking god I had a seat belt on. I bet they were all sniggering in the showroom :lol:

What do you get with this in this little tinker is a 1.4 petrol engine with both supercharger and turbocharger.. the supercharger working up to 2400rpm where the turbo takes over. The 'automatic' box is not just an automatic box.. it's a 7 speed DSG unit as found in the posh VW VRX range which works either as a normal automatic.. D, put your foot down and the box does the rest or.. you can play at rally drivers using the gear stick to go up and down the gears (forward to go up, back to go down) OR.. you can use the paddles on the steering wheel. You would not believe a 1.4 petrol engine can go like it does and still return an average of over 45mpg :-O That said, with almost 180bhp on tap with a published top speed of 140mph, I doubt you'd see close to 45mpg :lol:

The only thing is.. I've only been able to drive it home and tomorrow morning, I'll drive it back to the showroom again. Had I known I was getting the vRS, I'd have taken the day off :lol: If you get a chance to drive one of these things, give it a go. It WILL put a smile on your face. Coming back from Reading this morning, I found myself slowing up on a favourite bit of road until the traffic was out of sight so I could boot it and catch them up again :lol: God only knows what the Octavia vRS is like :-O

Have fun out there and watch your speed ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: One jonesey might like...

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Boy Skoda have come a long way from the poxy little rot boxes I remember from 20+ years ago! :-O

Larry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes they have mate. Once upon a time, you could go and buy a brand new one for around £4k, in fact I think my dad's first.. a Favorit 5 door hatch was just £4k. During the time he had that, VW jumped into the mix with both Skoda and Seat and things improved dramatically. Dad's next Skoda, a Favorit LXie had some 120 detail improvements over the previous model.. all engineered and directed by VW. Things weren't all plain sailing for them though. Try as they might, they found it difficult to improve on the standard Skoda 1300 engine. Having driven both Favorits, they were 'agricultural' compared to European cars but functional. Nowadays, models share common components and this has helped quality control. Unfortunately, it has also bumped the price up so your brand new Skoda for £4k is a thing of the past. That little vRS weighs in at around £17k and shares much with the VW Polo GTi but.. the VW's are always markedly more expensive. The Octavia vRS and top end Golf share many components from the engine down but the Golf will be some £3k more expensive. At the end of the day, you pay extra for the badge.. still important for some folk ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Yes - that pocket rocket has some good reviews. A mate has a Skoda and swears by it, not at it).
Only thing spoils them for my cultured tastes is the badge - ugh. :((
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

What can I say Dave .... apart from the fact that the steering wheel is placed at the wrong side in the car ;)
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

No Dan...that's right, the rest of the World is wrong :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Bugger .. I knew it!
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I've been in Canada for 19+ years and now it looks odd to me to see a Brit car with the steering wheel on that side. :-O

I must be turning native! :worried: 8) :dunno:
Larry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Must be difficult to drive with the steering wheel on the passenger side 8) :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I'm amused that I've come across as somebody who is very enthusiastic towards hot hatches. :lol:

1400cc? Nah, a bit too big for me. I like my inline fours to be around 750 :Dance:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.