Book Recommendation

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Re: Book Recommendation

Post by VC10 »

My latest reads were

Spitfire: A Test Pilot's Story by Jeffrey Quill - ISBN-13: 978-0947554729

and

Not Much of An Engineer by Sir Stanley Hooker - ISBN-13: 978-1853102851

I would highly recommed both books.

Quill's book starts from his early years in the RAF flying bi-plane fighters, developing the Spitfire (all marks), Sea-Spitfire, Seafire & Seafang. He talks about a plan he nearly got roped into to steal an FW190 from France! After reading this book I have now got to read Alex Henshaw's book. Quill was in charge down at Southampton while Henshaw's patch was Castle Bromwich.

The Hooker book covers his pre RR employment, his time with RR starting with the Merlin and how by developing the supercharger he got 30% more power out of it. He was involved from the start in improving the basic Whittle engine into the Nene & Derwent and when he saw no career advancement at RR moved to Bristol Siddeley and was involved in ironing out the Proteus problems and designing the Pegasus. A very clever man who finsihed his career back at RR pulling back the RB211 from the brink of disaster

Paul
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Here are some nice reviews of "Red Ship - White Crosses":-

http://www.melrosebooks.com/SGbookDetails.php?id=354

Blister
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Blister »

ChrisHunt wrote:Finished Len Deighton's Bomber a few days ago ... highly recommended, very well written and pulls no punches in the air and on the ground...
There is a BBC audiobook to go with this - I remember when it was first broadcast, it was done in realtime - like new bulletins throughtout the day - quite remarkable - and interspersed with the words from crews who took part in the bomber campaign - also highly recommended.

B
If the good old days were as bad as today - then we are up to our necks in it!

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I have just finished re-reading 'Bomber'.First read shortly after it was written(around 1970 I think).It is a fictional story,brilliantly written,based around the events of a single raid on Germany and telling the story of the raid and its effects on the people of both sides.EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Herkpilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot »

Just found this topic and would like to add a few books from my list that don't appear on the thread. Some, unfortunately are out of print, but you never know what a good used book search will turn up.

"The Pilots Burden" by Capt. Bob Buck. ISBN 0-8138-2357-9
Safety issues and conflicts arising out of new aviation technology from the pilot's view. The many issues raised by the loss of AF447 make this a compelling read.

"Come Fly With Me-Props" and "Come Fly With Me- Jets" by Capt. Johnny Sadiq.
ISBN 969878448-9 and 969-8784-51-9 (both printed in Pakistan but purchased new and cheaply from a bookseller in UK through ABE.com )
Worth searching out, two volumes of autobiography of a 37 year career pilot (Indian father, English mother) with Pakistani International (PIA). Some hair raising tales of mountain flying and typhoons in DC-3s, F-27s, Tridents, 707s, DC-10s and 747s , plus the many intrigues of third world politics and power struggles. Parts seem a little fanciful but the flying rings true.

"Wings of Paradise" by Peter Forman. ISBN 978-0-9701594-4-1
The aviation story of Hawaii. Of current US airlines, only NW was older than Hawaiian (founded in 1929 as Inter-Island), and now NW is gone. Covered are the political battles, airline battles, WWII, Statehood and the rise and fall of Aloha Air Lines. Interesting tales of S-38s and S-43s and why Kahalui, Maui has OGG as the identifier.

"Flying the Old Planes" by Frank Tallman. ISBN 0-385-09157-5
First person Pilot reports on Spads and Triplanes, DC-3s, B-17s and many more by one of the greatest movie pilots.

"Daring Young Men" by Richard Reeves. ISBN 978-1-4165-4119-6
A new book about the Berlin Airlift, full of interviews with many of the participants, both aircrew and Berliners. In between the stories is a very good look at the politics and behind the scene manuvering to force the allies out of Berlin. The British (and Empire) participation is very well covered. It really puts the Airlift into perspective as the opening shot of the cold war. After reading this, I had to dig out and re-read my old copy of:

"Over the Hump" by General William H Tunner, the mastermind of military airlift. A large portion of this book is devoted to the Berlin Airlift and the internal battles within the US Air Force for control. Often it seemed that the combat Air Force (USAFE) was working against the Airlift Operation. The sections covering the Hump and Korea are also enlightening.

For flying boat fans,
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mbcass/Flying Empires.pdf
ISBN 0 9529298 2 1
This is the complete book about the magnificent aircraft of Short Bros. Written by Brian Cassidy, it is online in pdf. Two hundred -five pages with photos and specifications. If you have any interest at all in big flying boats, this is definitely for you. And the price is right.

"The Ravens" by Christopher Robbins ISBN 0-517-56612-5
The story of the Raven FACs who flew Cessna O-1s out of bases in Laos supporting General Vang Pao and the Hmong army. These are some of the bravest Heros you never heard of. Sent to do a difficult job and practically abandoned by their government. I just discovered that I trained with several of these men. There are many Viet Nam era fighter pilots who owe their lives to these guys. Their annual reunions at Randolph AFB are legendary. I could not put this book down.

Runway Visions by David Kirk Vaughan ISBN 0-7864-0488-4
A pilots memoir of C-130 combat airlift in SE Asia, 1967-1968. I relate to this as it reflects much of my own experience in 1974.

"A Pilots Log", the career of Capt E.L. "Slonnie" Sloniger. ISBN 1-57427-048-6
I found this book at Amazon after a comment on another site about "Matson Air Lines". Written by his son, based on interviews with his dad and old photos, notes and stories of family members. "Slonnie" held seniority # 1 with American Airlines until he left to fly as head of aviation with Matson. He started flying in the Army in WW I , barnstormed after the war and flew the mail with Lindberg on Robertson Airways. He was the ultimate flier's flier, accorded almost "god like" status by Gann and many others. He had flown just short of 25,000 hours when he retired from aviation. Lots of very interesting and frightening anecdotes and photos of the aviation world between the wars. It is amazing just how far we have progressed since then.

Hy

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Chaps..

We've received a letter from Tim McLelland, author of one of the TSR2 books mentioned above and in good faith, am publishing it here for you to see..

EDIT
.. or not as the case may be. We've had a communication from the author of the original TSR2 book mentioned and much of the content has been verified by other parties. I don't want this to get into a slagging match and with hindsight, I'd not have posted the email from Mr M had I known then what I've since learned. Let this be a lesson to us all.. free speech doesn't always work ;) As I mention later.. you, the buying public will decide which publication will stand the test of time.

I've not read either so am in no position to make an informed comment. However, I didn't see any deliberate smear against either author above, not directly from here.. more a case that this was a voiced opinion on another forum/a-n-other place. Let this not sway you from buying/reading both. We're fortunate that there are people out there who see fit to research and publish books on a subject we all hold dear and long may it continue. At the end of the day, it is you, the reader who will decide which version of events you prefer ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Dave,

It appears that much of the animosity is related to matters that have no bearing on aviation, nor have any place on this forum.

As you say - if interested, go to a bookshop and have a quick skim through both before parting with the readies for whichever you prefer.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I have Damien Burkes book and love it. I'll have to see if I can get the other one too. You can never have too much TSR2 :agree:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Yes.. that's pretty much what I said to Tim in my reply. Regardless of who says what about whatever, TSR2 enthusiasts will buy both books.. that is the nature of the beast. However much information is readily available, there's never enough ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

sando
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by sando »

This book may be out of print, I bought it second hand off the web.
It is a really good read so far and doesnt look as if it will disappoint.

"SKY SPY from six miles high to Hitlers bunker"
RAY HOLMES
Published by AIRLIFE
ISBN1 853100544
The title says it all.

John