Scanners

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Scanners

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps :)

A cousin of mine has a gallon of phots she'd like to archive and asked if I knew which scanner to recommend. As I bought mine about 9 years ago, the answer was no but I said I'd ask here :lol: I guess she's after a flatbed but throw anything you can into the mix ;)

Cheers :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Scanners

Post by Dev One »

First question is negatives or prints that need to be scanned? Might need a separate attachment for negatives/slides.

I must admit though that my cheap Lexmark X2550, which is a printer also, seems to be quite good, & although it is supposed to have a colour cartridge as well as a B+W, I only ever renew the colour one, leaving the dead B+W one still in there. It seems to live with that & still produce good B+W copy!
HTH
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Keith :)

Well.. she said phots so I'm guessing it's actual prints that she wants to scan/digitise.

You mention Lexmark.. I got a Lexmark printer free with a copy of Paint Shop Pro7 some years ago and it only came with a colour cartridge out of the box. I enquired at the price of a black cartridge and it was more than the printer was worth! :lol: Still haven't used it to this day.. I think it's probably parallel port and nowt comes with one of those now.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Dave.You may recall that a while ago I had well over 20000 slides to sort through of which about 60% were scanned.These included some of the images linked to this forum last year.I bought an Epson V300 Perfection from Amazon.It did a good job on slide scanning and it will also scan negs and documents(although my printer will scan docs as well.)
I bought it after reading some reviews of scanners on t'internet.Although it has now served the purpose for which it was bought,I haven't sold it yet because as I haven't yet decided whether to scan any negs.for which I presume that I would have buy Photoshop Elements or similar.
Anyway,the upshot of all this is that I thought it was good value for money.ATB EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Eric.. it's this sort of 'hands on' stuff I want to know :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

According to Which?, Eric's spot on with the Epson Perfection range. Left you a PM, Dave, with some info about them.

Ian :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers me dears :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage