Just Saying Hello :)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hs748flyer

Just Saying Hello :)

Post by hs748flyer »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to drop a line a say "Hi, I don't bite you know!" to all the other simmers here. I'm also looking forward joining the VA. One question about that though, when I'm training - how does it all work.
Before you go sending me off to the VA training (+ other etseterakissees) section, yes, I've read that! I'm just a little confused about the training thing. Do one of the CEO's set me up for a non-revenue flight or does it count towards my pilot "score?"

Anyway,
I am now pleased to be part of this excellent community!

P.S. Does anyone here read PC Pilot magazine?

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Just Saying Hello :)

Post by DaveB »

Hi 748 Flyer and welcome :)

You are expected to be 'au fait' with every aircraft you fly.. there's little or no hand holding. First off, go to FSA and sign up if you're not already a member. When done, select CBFS as the VA you'd like to join. David Maltby is currently our 'on watch' CEO and he will send you a joining letter. Tell him via PM at FSA (or here if you prefer) which aircraft you'd like to fly and he will set up a training rating for that aircraft and inform you of the operating base for that type. You then 'buy a ticket' at FSA to take yourself to that airport.
When David has authorised your application, you can then choose a flight. The only flights you'll see will be training flights for the aircraft you've chosen.. the only flights you'll ever see available are ones using the aircraft you have a rating on.
Once you've completed the set number of flights, your performance will have been monitored and if you've not tried to kill all your passengers, a full rating on the type will be given. Next time you choose a flight, many more will be available and they'll be 'non yellowed' showing they're not training flights (they won't have a T suffix either.. eg, CBF123 rather than CBF123T). Make sure you select one of the non 'T' flights and you're then off making money for yourself and the airline.
Nothing you do while a pilot under training doing training flights affects the VA but it could have consequences on your personal flight rating so try as hard as you can to do everything right all the time.

Any questions at any time.. fire them off in the VA Crew room and one of the chaps will get back to you asap ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Does anyone here read PC Pilot magazine?
Can't help you re the VA but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.
Regarding PC Pilot,I used to read it but as I still use FS9 I stopped buying it when it's content became mostly FSX.This is of course understandable from their point of view as they are there to review and promote new products.I just checked and I still have issues 14 through to 87.I really must get round to disposing of the really early ones.Best Wishes EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

hs748flyer

Post by hs748flyer »

Nothing you do while a pilot under training doing training flights affects the VA but it could have consequences on your personal flight rating so try as hard as you can to do everything right all the time.
Good to hear :)
Tomliner wrote:
Does anyone here read PC Pilot magazine?
Can't help you re the VA but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.
Regarding PC Pilot,I used to read it but as I still use FS9 I stopped buying it when it's content became mostly FSX.This is of course understandable from their point of view as they are there to review and promote new products.I just checked and I still have issues 14 through to 87.I really must get round to disposing of the really early ones.Best Wishes EricT :)
I guess that's fair enough. My first issue was 65, when I only ran FSX. When I saw the PMDG tutorial, I didn't realise that the default 747 was so functional (until I discovered it was an add-on). Whilst I still mainly use FS9 (and a number of other readers mentioned recently), I still enjoy reading the magazine to see how I can improve FSX, read about add-ons etc. Its way better than the computer mag I used to read, which got a bit boring after 2 years of subscription +3 years of on/off reading, mainly because the same features occur every year.

Anyway, thanks to Tomliner and DaveB for their help here, its certainly helped me!

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Hello,

My subscription to PC Pilot is due and I'm in two minds.
It is now all FSX, which I have but don't use a lot, but the main thing that irritates me is that nothing they write about in their tutorial is default or free.

I have lots of payware, but, for example, they ran a gliding intro last issue; "Ooh" I thought, that'll be interesting. Lo and behold, not written for a default set up. It needs more stuff.

I also would like to fly their Nav lessons or Scenic flights but again, it all comes written based on payware additions.

They ran a series called back to basics which started right at very simple GA skills. Always good for a brush up. So, I followed along and then it got to flight planning and visual nav, suggesting fuel figures but for a payware add on. If it's "back to basic", use things that a new starter has access to.

This is my only, if major gripe with the magazine.