DM Nav Lights

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisOz
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

DM Nav Lights

Post by ChrisOz »

Hi all,

I am getting close to rebuilding my 1970 version of Ringway using Davids excellent 1962 FS9 Ringway airport scenery that apart from tree background transparency, works very well. I was wondering if David or any forum member would know the effect/light effect file name that is used for the Nav lights on the Trident/1-11/Comet? I understand that these are hard coded into the model and that they possibly use an airport light file? I have managed to get all the other period aircraft (707/737/DC-9 etc) nav lights to display as very small and not overly bright, as in real life, but have been unable to reduce the size and intensity of the Tridents/1-11's.
Many thanks,

Chris Morgan,
Perth West Australia

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: DM Nav Lights

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris and Welcome ;)

Yup.. with Nav lights hard coded into the model.. a number of problems can arise. They look better at medium distances than by using default fx files but still suffer from being 'over bright' beyond that as do most FS models. DM is the only one who knows what he did with those so hang in there.. I'm sure he'll be along soon to answer your question ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Looks nice :thumbsup: but if you want accuracy you need the get rid of the logo light on the 707 :worried:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ChrisOz
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ChrisOz »

Hehe, yes, Im in the process of removing the logo lights atm, but havent got round to HJG yet, :lol:

Its great using FSX, with the ability to tailor each unique aircraft sound. As I only use for Ringway for 'spotting" (In memory of my childhood dayz) it gets very noisey at times. I am using the sound files from UT2 ai aircraft as a base, then modifying them with sounds from different sound sets from freeware soundsets. Most of the UT2 ai sound files are the later engines, with noise abatement already inbuilt :lol: which meant replacing many with the REAL engine sounds, but its a slow process, and as i dont have a great understanding of sound files, its mainly trial and error, but sounds fantastic and worth the effort.

I've also added a 'Diversion" day schedule when all the heavies ex LHR fly in. I hope to be making a movie soon, when all the sound work is done.

To save starting a new thread, I was also going to ask about the taxiway lighting, and what program is needed to adjust the height, and in places, the alignment of the blue taxiway lights, as mine seem to be 1-2ft above the ground (See Pic)

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Hi Chris

I've had a quick experiment and the nav lights are using halo.bmp in the FS texture folder.
There's 4 lights in halo.bmp, I'm not sure which individual one it is.

The size of the light is not specified in the model, it's all texture based. So reduce the size of the ball of light in the texture and you get smaller nav lights in the sim.
Darken them in the texture & they are darker in the sim.
Watch out though because changing it will affect other things in your sim.
In FS2004 those nav lights are the same as the standard green taxiway lights, any edits to the halo.bmp texture affects both. I don't know about FSX though.

I was forced to include nav lights in the model because the aircraft.cfg type ones are static and no good with flexing wings.

DM
ImageImage

ChrisOz
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ChrisOz »

Thanks Dave and others for your replys. I may play around with the Halo BMP file to see which one it is (being aware of the risks of effecting other things) This scenery works very well in FSX with only 2 visual faults I can see, so was wondering, to have perfection in FSX, if there is replacement textures, or maybe modify Daves existing textures (In Photoshop etc?) I mentioned the tree background transparency/display and hedged fence background which is naturally OK in FS9, but dosn't display well in FSX. The offending texture files are MTtrees4.bmp and DM_EGCC_FENCES.bmp

I could of course just delete the bmps and bgl files, but it leaves the Pub with no hedge fence. and a lack of trees. I have attached pics of the 2 textures as they display in FSX