Bournemouth 748's

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hs748flyer

Bournemouth 748's

Post by hs748flyer »

Just noticed today. There are no aircraft currently parked at Bournemouth (EGHH). Would it be "alright" to fly G-ARMW from her present location at Cardiff down there for someone?

Seems like an awful shame, considering places like Aberdeen have a number of aircraft, some of which haven't even been flown!

Just thought I'd ask before doing so. ARMW was in Manchester. I guess you can say AZSU took her place yesterday after the run from Aberdeen-Edinburgh.

Michael. T

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Re: Bournemouth 748s

Post by DavidK »

Hi Michael,

EGHH is one of G-ARMW's bases, so I don't see why not... (cue management!)
hs748flyer wrote:Seems like an awful shame, considering places like Aberdeen have a number of aircraft, some of which haven't even been flown!
That might be because there aren't specific liveries for them -- not that that should be the final arbiter!

Regards,
David

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Re: Bournemouth 748's

Post by MALTBY D »

Hi Michael

Yes, you can leave ARMW at any of its bases - EGAA EGCC EGGD EGGP EGGW EGHH EGJJ EGKK EGNS EGNT EGNV EGPD EGPF EGPN.

If you want to balance the spread of aircraft out do feel free, but don't worry about it. If a pilot needs an aircraft in any particular place, they can always take one there themselves.
It's hard to keep every base stocked, as even when you do, they fly away. :lol:
They do tend to collect at the bigger airports. There are currently 13 at EGKK !

I recently transferred a couple of unused 748s to Aberdeen as there had been only one aircraft there for training.
We occasionally have more than one trainee at a time, so spare aircraft are useful up there.

DM
ImageImage

hs748flyer

Post by hs748flyer »

MALTBY D wrote:Yes, you can leave ARMW at any of its bases - EGAA EGCC EGGD EGGP EGGW EGHH EGJJ EGKK EGNS EGNT EGNV EGPD EGPF EGPN
Excellent! Maybe then I'll fly to Gatwick and drag one down to Bournemouth!
MALTBY D wrote:If you want to balance the spread of aircraft out do feel free, but don't worry about it. If a pilot needs an aircraft in any particular place, they can always take one there themselves.
OK. I'm sure that'll mean more income for the VA anyway.
MALTBY D wrote:It's hard to keep every base stocked, as even when you do, they fly away.
Don't we have a rule saying that all aircraft must be returned. I think we need to make a "spreading the fleet out" weekend, then make ruling which states that the PIC of the aircraft must return it to the base he found it at.

Its all very well rocking up at Bournemouth with your own plane, but what about someone who doesn't want to fly from Gatwick to Bournemouth, deal with a dead battery then fly onto Guernsey/Jersey?

I had to let that one out I guess :)

Michael. T

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Michael..

Look at how many aircraft we have and guess (if you can) how many of those have already been 'spread' :lol:

IF where you fly an aircraft to is a 'Base' for that type.. it's quite possible for you to land in it, someone go to FSA and book THAT aircraft, and by the time you realise what's happened, 'your' aircraft has gone. I've had this happen so I know it can ;) When aircraft are purchased, we have little choice over where they're delivered which explains why some have large numbers at some airports and not at others. Routes have to be uploaded to take an aircraft from A to B where A might not be an airport that aircraft has a normal route for so.. with a number delivered to one airport after purchase, it's a general practice to take them to the nearest 'en route' base.

It'll all become clear in the fullness of time ;)

Every now and again, the fleet managers will also rope in all the aircraft that have been left off station (there are a lot.. believe me) but only fleet managers/ceo's have this authority. You may move an off station aircraft that has been off station for a given amount of time but only with a fleet manager/ceo's authority.

Stuff happens but not a lot passes without our notice ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

The rule is that if you take an aircraft from a base, when you have finished with it you should return it to a base.
Most aircraft have multiple bases and it can be returned to any of them.

If a pilot wants aircraft at a particular base, they are free to fly them in there. (Don't forget you can 'buy a ticket' to any airport at FSA).

A bit of fleet balancing would be very welcome, but we don't want a continual 'tidying up' of the fleet. We need to appreciate that someone else may have already moved aircraft for their own reasons.
eg. We may think it a good idea to transfer a 748 from Gatwick to Bournemouth. But for all we know, one of our pilots loves to fly G-BEKG from Gatwick and we sent it to Bournemouth just to make up the numbers.

If anyone does go moving aircraft about purely to balance out the spread of the fleet, please go for the aircraft that havn't been used in ages.
You can find all the info on the Fleet Status page

Cheers
DM
ImageImage

hs748flyer

Post by hs748flyer »

MALTBY D wrote:f anyone does go moving aircraft about purely to balance out the spread of the fleet, please go for the aircraft that havn't been used in ages.
You can find all the info on the Fleet Status page
All of that makes plenty of sense to me. I'll just leave the aircraft I'm using now there when I'm done with it.

Michael. T