All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps, my Grandad was awarded the British Empire Medal in 43 or 44. Is there any way to find out what it was awarded for?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ben :hello:

Do a 'Google' of British Empire Medal Holders.. loads of useful stuff will come up and you should be able to find your grandad listed :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

DelP wrote:
AllanL wrote:As this is the Remembrance weekend, I thought I'd add this photo of an unknown soldier. I found the picture amongst family photos when clearing an uncle's flat, but have no idea who he is or where it was taken. Presumably he was a relative of mine and it would appear to be a WWI uniform, but beyond that I have no idea what the story behind the picture is.

Allan, I've had a closer look at the photo, the gent has a Red Cross badge on his right arm and is also wearing a Red Cross armband. This could suggest RAMC but the cap badge, though indistinct, is the wrong shape. He was obviously a medic, unit as yet unknown.

ATB,

Derek ;)
After an even closer look suspect that cap badge was censored *-)

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Dave,
yeap that's right. The post I served at, Fort Hunter Liggett, was CEDC Battalion in 1981-82. (Combat Development Experimentation Command)

One mission test, Humvee, there were four prototypes to test. One went to my company(maintenance company) another to Engineer Company a third went to IC company (communications radio microwave e t c ) and the fourth went to a lovley bunch of charming lads from the USMC. We lasted two weeks before the fistacuffs came off over a stripper as I recall.

Anyway is was a blast beating the crap out of them. :lol: Engineers ripped the front wheel assembly off theirs, actually removing the upper and lower control arms from the mounting points on the Frame! And the our distinguished sparing partners rolled theirs leaving a rondevu point in the middle of the night.
There were other companies in the battalion as well. There was a company of tankers for the 26 tanks on base and the cooks and other personal that provide services to support the battalion make up there own companies.

something from my yesteryears :cpu:

:wasntme:

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

DaveB wrote:Here's another one with a military theme. The chap to the left of the screen (with corporals stripes) is my great grandad.. my dad's mom's dad. Not sure when the phot was taken or where but I know he made it through WWI and was still going when I was born though I don't remember him. He was both a gentleman and a gentle man from what I know. I'm lucky enough to have his medals ;)

Sadly, I've no info on who the other 2 chaps are. I doubt they're from the same regiment as neither cap badge looks like great grandad's which is South Staffs Regiment.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
Dave, I've been staring at this, there's more to it than meets the eye...your great grandad is a corporal, the other two are rank and file, different units. They're either related or the chap sitting is being honoured for something.

Just a thought ;)

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes mate.. I'd tend to agree. What seems an innocent, posed shot is obviously rather more. How the heck I'm gonna get to the bottom of it is a mystery with dad no longer here to fill the pieces in. Wonder if my Uncle Alan would know.. dad's half brother *-) He's PC non-compatible so it's going to take a while!
Great grandad was born in 1875, married at 24yo in 1899 so would have been 39yo when WWI started. He wouldn't have been a 'regular'.. I know he was a silver plater by trade.. certainly at the time of his marriage. His daughter, dad's mom was born in 1901 so would have been 13yo when his call up papers hit the door mat, unless he volunteered.. something I'm not sure of *-) I sure wish he'd have written something on the back of the photo! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Dave, he may well have been TA, a more experienced soldier than Kitchener's volunteers or later conscripts.

Derek ;)

Airborne Signals

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeed.. there's much I need to know about that photo. And so.. the search begins ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

My old man's on board somewhere ;)

Click

Derek

Airborne Signals

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I love the irony Derek :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage