REX problems

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

REX problems

Post by Captain Pugwash »

i know this might be a long shot, but i need some advice as the REX site has no links for tech support.
today i downloaded the REX package for FSX from the flightstore website. so here i have sat all day trying to get the program to unwrap so i could get the thing down loaded to FSX. So this is the problem i have. pls forgive my little knowledge of computers and how to fix .

i have a 64GB SSD with 2TB hard drive. the computer manufactures have id each drive as C for 64GB SSD and D for the 2TB hard drive. thus when i install anything it goes straight to C and overloads it. I try to send everything to drive D if it will alow but Flightstore unwrapper will not allow me to move their program to D and everything should be ok. i have removed all the usless programs from C drive but it still only leaves me with 7GB free space. enough to let the unwrapper to get very close to finishing, then i get the message no enough free space.

What options have i left, at this time i feel i've just wasted my money

Dave

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: REX problems

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Dave :hello:
I have a similar hdd setup as yourself, and had the same issue with gex install last week, except I have about 30gig free on my 62gig ssd. If there is no option to unpack rex to the d drive then just unistall more from c. If you need the programs back then reinstall them after transfering rex to d. There are ways of changing windows to make default installations from other than c drive but they are beyond my computing abilities :lol:
Image Image Image

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

The usual problem is that installers use the temp folders which by default are on the C: drive.

You can change the paths for the temp files from "Control Panel/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced/Environment Variables"

Click on TEMP then "Edit" and change the path to somewhere on your other drive. Do the same with TMP. You should do the same for the users TEMP and TMP.

Note. Do this at your own risk and create a restore point before changing anything so that you can revert if anything goes amiss.
George

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Thanks for the reply to my question.

reguarding the temp and tmp files, i followed your instructions and found the path as you so kindly showed via the photo. so i double clicked on the TEMP C:\Windows\Temp thus now highlighted in blue. i was then asked if edit/delete/or new. so presumably i though edit and another box came up with this
Edit System VAriable
Variable Name Temp
Variable Value %systemroot%\Temp

may i ask you for info as to what this means and what further things do i need to do for the changing of the C drive to D drive.
sorry for asking, but i dont really know what this is and what it might do to the computer

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dave,

%systemroot% is just a variable that means the location of the Windows Directory. If you had Windows installed on your D drive it would point to d:\windows\temp etc etc.

Simply create a folder on your D drive called "temp" and change this setting from %systemroot%\temp to d:\temp :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Hi ben,
followed what you wrote and made to new folders in d drive Temp and Tmp. re ran the installer and it failed.

this was the message.
folder:\\?\C:|users\owner\appdata\roaming\real enviroment simulations,inc\real enviroment xtreme 2.0\install\26D877C\

i went and had a look in c drive and found users folder after that the owner file has a padlock on it but can be opened thus follow along to appdata and roaming ( empty folder ). so am i thinking correctly this is where the installed is trying to download to, if so how can i move this to drive d .

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I think that this is UAC protecting you from yourself, you could try turning off UAC.

I also think that the Rex installer is only trying to save its config file in that folder (9KB).

My Rex installation is on my G: drive but the config file is in

C:\Documents and Settings\Use\Local Settings\Application Data\Real_Environment_Simulati\rex.exe_Url_c4oqg4254hazanuuwpmbf1urepmzht4i\2.5.2010.38548
George

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

George may i ask what is the UAC and how do i get to it. i've only just got this computer and it runs windows 7 pro and i don't have a clue where anything is. i'am feeling like a cave man driving a car at the moment. still its good to get help form you chaps, hopefully this can get sorted and i can get to see what everyone likes about rex in fsx

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Dave :hello:

If you type UAC into the help box on the start menu it gives you the options :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

found the uac and switched off, ran the installer again and same message came up. :'(