Is FS9 Dead

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Is FS9 Dead

Post by Swanoir »

Airbus came after De Havilland. More people fly Airbus now...Which is better?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

As efficient safe cost effective machines allowing just about anyone to be able to afford to fly...Airbus by a huge margin :hide:

But de Havilliand is much more fun :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Well said Garry.After all, fun is what it's all about isn't it? And to use Tonks's phrase 'It isn't real' :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Exactly my point gents, now I'm off to FS9 for the best way to spend a few hours on a Saturday I can think of! :Dance:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Here's mine. :hide: Gone but defintely not forgotten. Lots of good times. :agree:

Brian

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

I hope the next sim to replace FSX improves the flight model.
Realistic slip and spins, low speed handling (or not).
The problem with FSX is, that although the above is possible (to a degree) you can still get into,
unrealistic, mushy flat stalls or side slips which seem rearly weird (to me anyway).
In fact with one aircraft model (can't remember which one) I seemed to stall upwards!

BTW
I enjoyed FS8. Only annoyance was sudden lock ups and ctd's.
Had a nice EMB120 with reverse thrust sounds. Flew well too.
I also miss the freebie GPS and NAV programs you had up until about FS2000 (you know the one :-) ).

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Seems that the future lies with P3D. Not so much the current issue which is quite flawed in many respects, but possible the next version. I cannot believe that LM would have invested in this had they not wanted to pick up where MS left off and improve upon it. What' s that I hear you say? X-Plane? Real flight models? Don't make me laugh.
Alex

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Not sure that the FSX ( or FS9) base flight model is a problem as such - its more a problem of the modeller to insert & interpret the settings to get an aircraft to spin, or to approximate the low speed handling. I have quite a problem in interpreting these & I feel that I have not achieved it fully. What I would like though is a bit more instability capability in turbulence, I find the the aircraft does return too easily to its pre-disturbed state - mind you this is my remembrance of flying umpteen years ago, when I feel that one had to work quite hard to keep the kite on an even keel....
I still get more pleasure out of FS9 as I can only get 12 - 14 fps on my set up in FSX with sliders midway & then only in full screen mode. I would also need to learn more things to create native FSX models - not good as my brain fades very quickly these days...
Keith

Klaus Hullermann
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Klaus Hullermann »

For me FS9 will stay alive a very long time (I can't use FSX properly on my system and I like FS9 more than FSX) on my computer.

Klaus

Anders Nielsen
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Anders Nielsen »

Hi,

I don´t think that FSX or what comes after it ever will have the same huge variety of especially classic aircraft as currently available for FS9. Secondly, I continue to be stunned how much scenery/weather programs such as REX, Zinertech, Ground Environment etc. can boost new life into FS9.
Hence, it will live as long as OS´es that can run it exist. Windows 7 will be supported by MS until 2020. But I don´t if Windows 8 or 9 will be able to run FS9??

Best Regards,
Anders