BAe146 / Avro RJ

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: BAe146 / Avro RJ

Post by Airspeed »

Gadzooks! I'm not the only one to get caught by the detail on this subject. :$

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

It does state that this is stage 1 (of 3) release.
Stage 1: Release Avro RJ70, RJ85 and RJ100 for FS9 only

Stage 2: Release Avro RJ70, RJ85 and RJ100 for FSX (free update)

Stage 3: Release BAe146-100, -200 and -300 for FS9 and FSX (free update)
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'm sure it does Dave. It was late.. I was bored.. and I didn't read the detail. All I took notice of was the 'it's released for FS9' post here and little else. By my own admission, my disappointment is my own fault and mine alone ;) There is a plus in all this though and I'll try and think what it might be :lol: Ah yes.. I've paid up front for the model versions I want ;) In the meantime.. I'll try and find a suitable paint for the RJ and attempt to find why I'm always reported overweight even when empty. This would be bad enough on a freeware model.. on a payware model, it kinda takes the edge off 8)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Interesting Dave as I dont normally like paying for anything, just a tight arse gene I have :lol: But I was kinda keen on this one. I did realise it was RJ first, but was concerned when you said the gauges are too small to read, is there not a zoom function? Also does their forum for support not give help re overweight?
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi TM :hello:

A bit happier today as it's not giving me 'overweight' messages anymore and I've got some proper paint on the RJ100 now :)

Climbing out of GUE enroute BHX this morning..

Tied up alongside..

First impressions (as you've gathered) were not brilliant though this was as much my fault as anything to do with the model. The previously mentioned difficult to read instruments DO have a zoom function so if you want to see what any of them are doing.. the important ones.. find the click spot (in the middle of the gauge) and you have all the detail you need :)
I tried flying out of GUE last night (default sim start) and found myself grass cutting. This morning, I found the click spot on the vref card and chose 33deg of flap and she was up and out of there in good order using a 'random' aircraft load.. set through the 'Dispatcher' function.

One thing I'm extremely pleased about is that the AP functions are not custom in the sense that they're outside the SDK. This means that FSNav users can enjoy getting from A to B as easy or as complicated as they so wish. I'm using the 'idiot' panel at the moment (Lite) and will probably continue to do so as I've no wish to be a fully certified RJ pilot :lol: Visually.. there is no difference to what you see. The difference comes elsewhere. On every 146 I can think of from FS2002 up.. various 'realities' have been built-in. On the old Eurowings model, if you didn't make sure deicing was turned on, you'd fall from the sky above 16000ft with no chance to collect your pension. On other panels like the highly regarded Matteus Liebricht versions (forgive the spelling if it's incorrect).. you could spend a day just getting the bloody engines to start. Nice for someone with that degree of interest but a pain in the butt for someone who doesn't. The 'Lite' panel suffers none of these frustrations. The model starts 'hot' from default but you can should you wish, start cold and add all the complexity you want. This'll be too little for the techies (there's always one) but it's too much for me so I use the Lite.. standard hot start. It didn't fall from the sky above FL160 and had no problem following the SID out of GUE or the slightly more complex Star for Brums rwy 33. I DID get a 'bing' at one point mid way. I was expecting to start losing pwr but no.. a fuel lamp came on on the annunciator (amber) and nothing else happened :)

I've not really looked at all the panels yet.. perhaps I never will, we'll see :) Looking around the model externally, the round bits are suitably round and the detail is excellent. Can't wait for the 146's to arrive along with (I hope) the wide variety of UK liveries but for now.. UK liveries are scarce. Let's say there's one and that's the paint in the shots above :lol: Plenty of others but only one UK livery.

Likewise, I want the 146's to come out as at least one will have analogue gauges. I don't care much for the semi glass setup in the RJ's which look like they were taken straight off a B734! They're historically accurate I know but sitting in the RJ's is just like sitting in a 734 with a double set of engine gauges. :lol:

Not sure how performance compares to the real thing but the teams pedigree is enough for me to believe it's there or thereabouts. My flight from GUE to BHX was controlled with ease using the throttle once the 'cliff edge' had been found and once happy, I selected A/T which it held pretty darned well. FL240 at 270kias.. job done ;)

So, to be brief.. my second opinion is much better and I think this may turn out to be one payware model I'll actually get some use out of. It can be easy to fly or more complicated to fly.. the choice is yours. If you don't want to learn the correct sequences for LNAV/VNAV on the AP.. you don't have to. Plot your route in FSNAV and manage the AP through there :) I'm sure it will work with FSC when the FSX version is released though don't quote me :lol: Automated voice info is annoyingly American (gear up, flaps up, minimums e t c) but I can live with that :) There are things on it and panel versions I'll probably never use.. there's a fully featured FMC and full EFIS panel for those with a bent for such things but again, if you enjoy getting from A to B with the minimum of fuss.. it'll do that too ;)

VA pilots beware.. the RJ's have a tendency to 'creep' when on the deck even at throttle off. Taxiing requires little input but constant vigilance as it will go beyond the magic 20kts if you don't keep dabbing the brakes. For general use, this does make getting around the airport much easier.. all you have to do is steer!

What else can I say? Not a lot really as I don't know enough about it yet :lol: Thus far, I've not chosen to RTFM which either shows my prowess or how easy it can be. I think the latter and not the former applies :lol: Roll on the 146's :rock:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
PS.. I left the winglet showing in the bottom shot for Brian! :lol:
ImageImage

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Nice review Dave, one that makes me want to open that sealed wallet :)
Does the flap sound replicate the groan of the real one inside the cabin when the first stage of flap is selected. Do t hey do a paint kit ? As I'm. Sure the externals of the 146 and RJ are the same?

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Thanks for the mini review Dave.

Not got it myself yet. Still trying to decide whether to pop it into FS9 or wait for the 'X version *-)
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Tony :hello:

The flaps don't 'groan' like the old Eurowings model but having never actually flown in one, I can't say if that was over emphasised. Both the girls were on nights last night so I've had to be 'good' at keeping quiet :lol: You can certainly hear stuff going on as the flaps are moving.. more or less depending on the setting. There should be a PK available.. one is advertised on their 146/RJ page but I'm not sure if it's out yet. Let me flash up the RJ and listen to the flaps then look over at QW for that PK ;)

I've listened through headphones and no.. the distinctive groan off the flaps isn't there :( Perhaps you hear it more when in the air *-) They advertise the 'characteristic' flap sound is there so maybe it IS more pronounced when in the air. I was paying too much attention to where I was going before :lol:

Yes.. a PK will be made available but No.. it's not available yet ;)

DG.. I can't see any reason for it not to work in FSX.. just that all the niceties won't be there. The FSX compiled version will probably run much better too. Thing is.. once you've bought it, you've bought the lot.. all versions for both sims. I can feel your card pulling itself uncontrollably out of it's wallet :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Well if they have missed the groan its a real characteristic of the 146!! Having been on a lot I can say that you do hear a groan as she opens up those wings... the Eurowings payware one had the sounds spot on and depict this perfectly. May sound like nit picking but if Im paying I want it right... ;)

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »