Dove Panel...disappearing

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Ralphc
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Dove Panel...disappearing

Post by Ralphc »

Hello Again.
Hope I'm not being a pain requesting help with this... :$ I've just downloaded the latest (posted on the site 28th April) DeHavilland Dove / Sea Devon for FS9. Now I know I'm running FSX and the following query may have something to do with the problem. It might also be something simple too :$ Got to stress, all else is well with this AC and the panel is really superb...

Anyway..was navigating my way around the panel ..pressed the request for the GPS on the ' Panel views icon.' and the whole panel disappeared :-O Pic to illustrate what I mean....

This happens with some of the icons...not others. It's easy to get back by going to the 'Drop Down Menu' and 'clicking' to get the main panel back. There appears to be a 'Main Panel Off' option in there too...So not clear.. *-)

If this is normal then no problems....Just a bit disconcerting when one's whole panel disappears at 5000' ;)
Hope this is clearly explained..
Best wishes
Ralph

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Dove Panel...disappearing

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Ralph :hello:

I edited the image line as it didn't show because you had two sets of image tags

It looks like you posted an image tag then selected and used the IMG option in the post pane.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ralph :)

Simple answer is that I honestly don't know. I've a theory which has been proven in the past.. simicon assignments/GUID's. Some icon/window assignments changed in FSX.. other windows have to have rendering turned on/off. I don't have the Dove in FSX but I'll take a look ;)

EDIT:.. Boy, has this kept me occupied for a while or what! :lol: OK.. I've tried a number of variations on a theme and the one I've had most success with is this...
For [window00]
after ident=MAIN_PANEL
add this line below.. render_3d_window=0

For [window01]
change the line visible=0 to read visible=1
ident=6
add render_3d_window=0

There's something about the window combinations that means that with [window00]..render_3d_window=1.. some of the panels work fine but not all and with [window00] render_3d_window=0 some but not all work. By making window00 render=0 and making the lower panel=1 (visible) the lot will work. What it means is that when you open the aircraft, the lower panel will be visible. Close it down using the 'X' in the top RH corner and it will work fine as will all the others. I'm too confused now to take it any further but at least this is a workable solution and only a minor inconvenience ;)

The sections above are in your panel.cfg by the way ;) Sadly, FSX doesn't tolerate 2D views so nothing can be done about those :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

When loading an aircraft in FSX the default view is the the 3D view. The Dove doesn't have a 3D view. ;)

The way to see the 2D panel in FSX is to press the F10 key. F9 will take you back to the 3D view. The sub panels are available in the normal way. However you'll only see the panel looking forwards. If you use the hat switch to look around, the side and rear views won't appear.

Jon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Jon :hello:

Yes mate.. that's taken as read ;) The Dove however was doing it's best to get rid of the main panel as you selected the sub panels. Always good practise to start a non-vc model from a default with a 2d showing though ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

That thick black line at the bottom suggests the panel sizes are not correct in the panel.cfg for FSX if the Height is wrong then you will get that plus going to external spot view that line will still be there and the aircraft will appear stretched.

This is what you should have at the bottom of your panel.cfg the 6143 is the height and that's what it should be for FSX

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=6143

Of course this may have nothing to do with the current problem,

:hide: :hide:
Rich

Ralphc
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ralphc »

Hello All :hello:
Thanks all for your help :) Happy to say it's sorted. Dave:
Boy, has this kept me occupied for a while or what!
...... Trust me to find such a problem :$

Appreciate your time and effort re: the solution. Edited the Panel cfg as recommended this AM and it works fine now. The 'lower panel' pops up at the start, but when another icon is pressed/clicked it disappears, so all works really well. No problems. This is an excellent panel :)

Rich, thanks for your suggestion, the view with the original [Default View] Seems OK...tried the 'Spot' view and no problem with it...maybe one of those odd FSX things? *-) I have saved your .cfg edit in the 'maintenance locker' just in case.

Here's the proof that all seems well:

Gary..got it right this time ;) :doh:
Best Wishes
Ralph

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ralph :hello:

Glad you're sorted ;) It's a smashing panel isn't it on the Dove.. workman like.. easy to read and everything is where you'd expect it to be ;) This one is based around pictures I took in the front end of G-AREA at the DH Museum at London Colney ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Ralphc
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ralphc »

Hi Dave... :hello: .
I'll say its "smashing." :agree: Really easy to use and navigate around. Actually, interested that you got the 'layout' from an actual visit to see one. I 'found' a pic of one too...couldn't believe how alike this panel and the real one is. :) It's actually quite easy to see out of as well on approach.

Linked to your visit to London Colney. We've got one of the old girls at the SAA Museum on display (ZS-BCC) Named 'Katberg.' It was restored (partly by SAA Technical Apprentices and volunteers) after being brought back from the UK. There's a good 'Before & After' pic(s) of the somewhat dilapidated Dove on their site.(www.saamuseum.co.za) prior to the restoration and a gleaming finished version. It's an interesting read, particularly the history of this particular AC.
Best Wishes
Ralph

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Fancy putting the Dove next to that 747.. dirty rotters :lol: Love the SP at the other end. Something about a short Jumbo that looks kinda menacing ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage