The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Some More P3D Mysteries...

Post by petermcleland »

I got the FSX Beaver working nicely in P3D today and took a few pics at Sitka:-

Here is the Beaver...It was reluctant to turn in the water but a made a few adjustments and it seems OK now. The reflection shows a lack of buildings on the foreshore and there should be parts of the floats showing.

Lifting the camera a little cause the aircraft reflection to vanish. Again there are no buildings reflecting.

The wake and spray looks very good.

Unstuck...

...and the reflection recaptured by lowering the camera angle.

Here it is from ahead but note the lack of buildings in the reflection.

All those trees the far side of Sitka runway should not be there...

...and nor should all that forested terrain below me...It should be Ocean!

The scenery is Tongass Fjords and it looks just fine in FSX where it is installed but referenced here in P3D the Ocean is invaded by all this forrested terrain.

Thanks for looking :fly:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Some More P3D Mysteries...

Post by Airspeed »

G'day Peter,
I just wonder whether it has anything to do with the academic licence?
Would have thought that LM would have gone for utmost realism?
Just a thought. :dunno:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

P3D seems to be throwing up more mysteries with this latest version Mike.. most of which seem to be associated with this version.. add something.. break something 8) Comparatively early days yet though ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I don't see myself becoming a regular user but I like to keep an eye on how it is developing...I will certainly be keen to see Version 2.

Meanwhile I will continue to use FLIGHT for the pure pleasure it gives me :lol:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I've got the same tree problem in Tongass Fjords X. It was fine when I initially installed it directly into P3D but when I changed my mind and put it into FSX and referenced it, the same thing happened as with Peter's. But to be fair, this isn't a P3D problem, several people have reported it in FSX on the FSAddons forum (it's an FSX program). Holger says it's something to do with the way windows 7 64bit writes to the scenery config file. Apparently it is different for different systems. He offers a service whereby you send him a copy of the scenery.cfg and he adds the missing bits and sends it back to you :dunno:

http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/?page_id=10 ... -tongass-x

Anyway. I think I'll just leave it and wait for FTX Southern Alaska. I haven't got the patience any more! :lol:

Ian :)

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Would have thought that LM would have gone for utmost realism?
From what I've read on LM's forums I get the impression they're trying to improve the performance FPS wise and remove things that were causing issues on certain graphics cards. From a training perspective the lack of stuttering etc. is more beneficial than having buildings reflecting in the water.

I think the idea is once they have a solid base product working they can start to reintroduce things in a more controlled manner.

Mind you I don't envy them trying to work through a code base parts of which may well be decades old, I have enough problems making sense of stuff I did last month!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

OK...I fixed it now with the help of someone called "masterhawk"...The Ocean is back now :)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

What did he advise you, Peter. He sounds like a native American so it probably involved some chanting and dancing and smoking pipes, yes?

I've uninstalled it for the time being but if there's an easy solution, I've got a lovely C130 US Coastguard that is just crying out to be based at the coastguard station at Sitka! :lol:

Ian :)

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

[quote="speedbird591"]What did he advise you, Peter. He sounds like a native American so it probably involved some chanting and dancing and smoking pipes, yes?
quote]
Uh Oh, now we're in for 30 days of rain. And I have to go off and apologise to some first nations on your behalf. :doh:
Alex

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

speedbird591 wrote:What did he advise you, Peter. He sounds like a native American so it probably involved some chanting and dancing and smoking pipes, yes?

I've uninstalled it for the time being but if there's an easy solution, I've got a lovely C130 US Coastguard that is just crying out to be based at the coastguard station at Sitka! :lol:
Ian, I really must apologise for suggesting to install scenery in FSX and then pointing to it in P3D...It seemed like a good idea at the time but I should have known better as I have considerable experience with Tongass Fjords in FS9 and it is a complex product with much more than just a scenery folder to point at. The proper installation writes in a large number of additional Landclasses into the Terrain.cfg file. It also places a number of effects in the Effects folder and one or two other things. So a simple pointing at the scenery folder from another sim will only put in the scenery and those other things I mentioned will be missing and need to be copied over.

I have fixed the Ocean problem with the Terrain.cfg and will copy over the other stuff today...I would help you along the same course, but as you have uninstalled TF, I would strongly suggest that you do a full install of TF directly into P3D as you did before. Everything will then work properly. Just keep your installer to redo it into version 2 when it arrives.

Once again, I'm sorry for leading you up the garden path!