Problem with the new Viscount

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Herkpilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Problem with the new Viscount

Post by Herkpilot »

I too have experienced the "wobbles". It seems to be more of a high speed buffet or flutter with the nose rapidly pitching up and down a few degrees in level or descending flight at airspeeds of 200-220 kias. My most recent test was at 4000 ft at a weight of 53,000 lbs. Slowing down to 180 or so will sometimes cure it, but not always. Shifting to an external view then back to the cockpit will cure it for a short period and then it returns. It does not show in the external view nor on the instruments, leading me to suspect some sort of scenery interface problem with this aircraft. Most puzzling.

I'm on an older pc with XP, FS9 and GT 220 card, that generally gets 20-30 fps. The stick is an old Logitech Attack 3. I'm flying the 745D variation with no similar problem with any other aircraft, although I've not tried the other Viscounts yet.

I've also noted that in the external views the landing lights do NOT retract when turned off. The switches are marked "on and out" and "off and in" so I'm assuming there is no separate retract switch. Maybe the problem above is due to overspeeding the extended lights?

Hy

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

jensendk68 wrote:
emfrat wrote:You could save yourself a lot of time and angst just by re-reading the thread you started.
MikeW
Hi MikeW

I did'nt quite found the answer by re-reading the threat. The only suggestion regarding the wobling/oscilating problem that i've got, was about a scimilar problem on a F27. I looked into it, but could not find anything wrong with my joystick assignments. My joystick does not have a button assigned to the airbrakes. So I don't see what you mean by your comment. Could you explain a little closer please? Have I overseen something?
Sorry, Kim - I should follow my own advice. It was another member who mentioned the VC, not you. :$

MikeW

jensendk68
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by jensendk68 »

Herkpilot wrote:I too have experienced the "wobbles". It seems to be more of a high speed buffet or flutter with the nose rapidly pitching up and down a few degrees in level or descending flight at airspeeds of 200-220 kias. My most recent test was at 4000 ft at a weight of 53,000 lbs. Slowing down to 180 or so will sometimes cure it, but not always. Shifting to an external view then back to the cockpit will cure it for a short period and then it returns. It does not show in the external view nor on the instruments, leading me to suspect some sort of scenery interface problem with this aircraft. Most puzzling.

I'm on an older pc with XP, FS9 and GT 220 card, that generally gets 20-30 fps. The stick is an old Logitech Attack 3. I'm flying the 745D variation with no similar problem with any other aircraft, although I've not tried the other Viscounts yet.

I've also noted that in the external views the landing lights do NOT retract when turned off. The switches are marked "on and out" and "off and in" so I'm assuming there is no separate retract switch. Maybe the problem above is due to overspeeding the extended lights?

Hy
Hello Hy and fellow simmers,

I'm also on an older system with XP and FS9, but has no problems with other planes. and panel combinations. Unfortunately I haven't been able to pinpoint a specifik speed range for this problem. It happens in climbs, cruise and descends. And my problem is exactly as you described it. Also when i see from the outside view. And I couldn't see any controlsurface movement either.

I would like to know whats different with these new ones compared to the old ones. It must be something else than just a panel bitmap and a gauge. Maybe Fraser could explain?

Regards

Kim

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps :hello:

I'm still not in a position to offer anything meaningful with the Viscount wobbles but I CAN say that the lights will not retract when using the retract switch.. or any other switch for that matter. Don't forget that this model is older than God's dog.. the landing lights are linked to the landing gear so will move up and down with the gear. You can still switch them on and off but they don't physically retract under their own steam ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

I'm stabbing in the dark as in over a hundred flight hours I've not come across this *-)

As an experiment, try both adhering to, and then contradicting the checklist during descents; ie
fuel trim set to zero, power 80 psi, then do it again with fuel trim 100%, power 80-100 psi and see if there's
any difference. Avoid descending at more that 1500 fpm. Remember the minimum in flight torque is 80 psi ;)

cheers

Fraser

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Been reading this with interest as I have suffered wobbles in the past but this has only occurred when the ASI reading has exceeded 220 - 235knots - the aircraft became uncontrollable on the elevators and the more one tries to catch it the worst it becomes on looking at the Viscount externally I was getting elevator flutter, by reducing the speed the flutter stops.

I would think that this is the problem here as otherwise the Viscount flies perfectly unless of course you fly it too fast!!!!

Kind regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

tincansailor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by tincansailor »

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone found out what causes this? I downloaded the new panels and now have this problem with all my viscounts, 700, 800 and 810