A nice little Vulcan "What If" story

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

A nice little Vulcan "What If" story

Post by TSR2 »

Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Re: A nice little Vulcan "What If" story

Post by dodger »

Hello,

Mr West was right in what he said but don't forget that President Kennedy had the B52's flying 24Hr's,

I got married in April 1962 and still remember today the feeling of that time as i was 21yrs old! i can honestly say it was Frightening.

Cheers,

Roger
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I well remember this period,I don't think that there has been a more frightening time since,thank goodness.i was in the ATC at the time and we were booked for air experience flying in Chippies at RAF Newton that weekend and we still went there but of course the flying was cancelled.The tension was almost unbearable.What a relief when the crisis ended!EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

In April 1962 we formed 22 Recce Flight in Wolfenbutel then on the East / West German Borders we had 3 x Saro Skeeters, maybe we played a part since there were no Vulcans anywhere near us.

:cheers: :cheers:
Rich

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I was only five, yet, I remember the tension and the hushed discussions between adults...there was certainly something up.

It was scary even for a young 'un :hide:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I was a member of CND around 1960 and spent my weekends on protest marches around Tunbridge Wells. It didn't seem to make much difference so by '62 I'd become fatalistic and played Bob Dylan songs over and over and drank brown ale waiting for the bombs to drop :wasntme:

The thing that words can't describe and only those of us who were there knew, was the feeling of inevitability. It really did seem like the end and there was no solution. It was unbelievable that Kruschev backed down. Nobody ever thought that would happen. Including Kennedy, I suspect!

Who remembers Chris Fry from this forum about 6 or 7 years ago? He used to tell us the most wonderful stories about his days on Sunderlands and V-bombers. He was on Vulcans in 1962 and told us what it was like to be on standby knowing that a scramble meant that the world was already at war, they wouldn't return and that their families would die. Sobering stuff. I don't know what happened to him but he had been ill and went to live with his daughter in the West Country and never returned to the forum.

Ian :)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Ian,

I've no idea how Chris is, I must admit I'm terrible and keeping up to date with folk. :(

I was reading the article on the BBC about North Luffenham being given listed status and had a look on Bing Maps. It looks like an old Phantom and Harrier still there... http://binged.it/SXM46L
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

I recently article in Classic Aircraft in which a former V-Bomber pilot said that the UK was at such a defense state the bombers should have been dispersed around the country but MacMillan decided against it so as not to stoke the fire any further.

Paul
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I think I was born a skeptic, I certainly remember not being convinced that hiding under my school desk would protect me from those New Kleer bombs. :doh:
Alex

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I think I was born a skeptic, I certainly remember not being convinced that hiding under my school desk would protect me from those New Kleer
I think you were being misled.You were supposed to go in the cupboard under the stairs! Foolproof :lol: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!