SSDs and all that

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

SSDs and all that

Post by ChrisHunt »

Who here has taken the plunge of installing an SSD?

If you have done have you migrated Windows onto to it and if you did how did you do it without:

a) kicking the cat.
b) going to the pub and not coming home again
c) chucking the PC into the skip
d) all of the above and in whatever order you fancy!

Thinking of getting one for Xmas and migrating Windows onto it but I have a sneaky feeling that the word 'migrating' might not be quite right!

Regards,
Chris

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: SSDs and all that

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chris, I've got 4 of them. One in the laptop and 3 in the FS pc.Best plan is a reinstall, but some of the packages come with software to allow you to migrate from a spinning disc to an SSD and its easy done with this software.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Handy video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxNyDBSBNxg
Alex

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Cheers chaps - the Acronis software looks good. The fun but (not) will be reducing the amount of stuff on the C drive so that it fits on the SSD!

Regards,
Chris

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Ben

I've been considering an SSD and hence was reading about them. There seems to be conflicting info. One review suggested that using an SSD for large file such as when running Photoshop was the way to go but at the same time time another suggested putting the OS on the SSD.

Putting the OS on is not an option since I can't stand the pain of moving the OS on SWMBO's PC - also I read that "moving" rather than re-installing did not switch on all the OS parameters for use with an SSD.

Overall so much contradictory advice that I have abandoned the purchase but what is true?

Ian

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Ian,

Yes and no. If your using Win7 or Win8, the OS automatically detects the SSD hardware and updates itself. Id suggest there is little or no point in using an SSD on Win XP which is so old now, there isn't a good reason to use it. A chap I work with is a semi pro photographer and he swears by his SSDs which he got earlier this year, particularly for "Lightroom" (at least I think that's what its called. The trouble with the internet is that everyone is an expert. There is very little risk in copying the OS as its non destructive, I.e. The source disk doesn't get changed, so if push comes to shove, you just plug it back in and you're back to where you where. :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I know not all SSD's are the same performance wise so check which has the best review and speed of write read etc.
XP which is so old now, there isn't a good reason to use it
Ben your a bad boy 8) I have both XP Pro and Win 7. I find XP more usable than Win 7 has been detuned to run more like XP pro, which btw is a very stable platform and I would have had it on my laptop if I could be arsed to do it...
http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/

Windows 8 is an abortion of a system unless you use a phone or tablet, they have pushed on from W7 by removing even more of the bits to make it accessible ie start bar! Oh you can get them back, at a price..... disgraceful shitty software. Microsoft seem to have this annoying habit or one good un one bad un on releasing software.. look at FS for a fine example...
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Ther is a very good reason the run XP.

It does things so much better than W7 :-# :hide:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Your up early Garry :) my excuse is a trio of dogs determined to to eat breakfast at 5 am after a refreshing walk..for them not me!
If your about later I will Skype you I might actually get 5 minutes today!!
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi mate :hello:

Just had to pick up my partner and take her to work :worried:

If you Skype give me a minute to change machines as I don't have a headset...So I'll kill you and call you back :lol: ...W7 permitting :rofl:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."