FTX Auckland in P3D...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

FTX Auckland in P3D...

Post by petermcleland »

I took these shots from a recording I made yesterday:-

The other shots can be seen here:-

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.ph ... nd-in-p3d/

Thanks for looking :fly:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: FTX Auckland in P3D...

Post by speedbird591 »

A nice set of shots, there, Peter. It's unmistakably Auckland even though I haven't been there for 30 years :( We used to stay in a hotel very close to the harbour, I think it was called The South Pacific.

I see you're terrifying that girl again and going into steep dives to make her hold on tight. I don't know why she keeps agreeing to go out with you :lol:

Ian :)

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Peter , nice shots . Ian may remember .. wot was the amphibian outfit called operating a Goose , and a couple of Goslings ? Show your id and cadge a ride to a nearby island . In fact we were redeployed SH Nigels , and it was 30 years ago ; so may have been on your trip as a lowly Bar 3 .

Rgds dave .

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

speedbird591 wrote:A nice set of shots, there, Peter. It's unmistakably Auckland even though I haven't been there for 30 years :( We used to stay in a hotel very close to the harbour, I think it was called The South Pacific.

I see you're terrifying that girl again and going into steep dives to make her hold on tight. I don't know why she keeps agreeing to go out with you :lol:
Well Ian...this time I selected "Fun" as opposed to "Nervous" or "Silent" and she seemed to like it...She said something like "It's a wonderful feeling!"...Made me feel pretty good too :lol:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

dfarrow wrote:Peter , nice shots . Ian may remember .. wot was the amphibian outfit called operating a Goose , and a couple of Goslings ? Show your id and cadge a ride to a nearby island . In fact we were redeployed SH Nigels , and it was 30 years ago ; so may have been on your trip as a lowly Bar 3 .
Dave, I saw the Goose from that outfit when I flew out with Barry Gillingwater, his Wife and Mother in Law, in a little four seater from the Ardmore Aeroclub for a day trip to Great Barrier Island...As we approached the island the Goose was landing on the water. We parked on the airfield and spent the day surf casting for Snapper :)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

dfarrow wrote:Ian may remember .. wot was the amphibian outfit called operating a Goose , and a couple of Goslings ? Show your id and cadge a ride to a nearby island . In fact we were redeployed SH Nigels , and it was 30 years ago ; so may have been on your trip as a lowly Bar 3
SeaBee Air! It was on one of their Goose trips out to Rotoroa Island that I met the first Mrs. Speedbird :lol:

Redeployed Nigels were always welcome! We even considered them honorary cabin crew, which gave them permission to make a play for the hosties! Which it sounds like you took full advantage of, Dave :lol:

EDIT: 25 Sep 1983. Philadelphia night stop. David Farrow! Ha! I would have been working the First Class galley :lol:

Ian :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I seem to have done several trips with First Officer Farrow on Trident 3s...The first were on 10, 11 and 12 July 1984 to Manchester and Dusseldorf...Was that you Dave back from the Cabin?

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Peter and Ian , yes to both logbooks subject to me checking . Peter , we've certainly flown together as I've previously checked . Ian , I'll have to check , but did a Philly and went for drinks on ''Moshulu '' an old 4 masted Barque , sailed in the ''Last grain Race '' in 1938 and written/photo'd by Eris Newby . That sticks in my memory as dad was a printer , and as a kid we had a printers copy..... still in the book case .
Will check tomorrow for other details .

Brgds gents ,

Dave in Daarset .

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Peter and Ian , good morning . With logbooks to hand this is a small world . Peter I'd been 10 yrs on T1/2s only Tridexterised just B4 Cabin Crew . Those July dates are correct , the other F/O was John Graham ( same Hamble cse as I and still hauling thro' the night and time zones (( late divorce )) . Thanks for the LHR-DUS sector 36794 , the only note is an exclamation mark and a cryptic '' wing up rotor '' . John Graham was again with us on 22/10/84 , but possibly not on 13/8/85 ; our last trip . The SeeBees were fun especially the wall of water on t/o , but surf casting .. not quite Chesil beach in the winter .
Ian , I've kept all my Cabin Crew trips in old PPL logbook . Yes LHR-BOS-PHL 25/9/83 , think the a/c was NM and the skipper a Capt Martin . 'Fraid I did not keep copies of the crew lists ; and there are no other notes . Last night was late so my spelling should have been Eric Newby , and it must have been that trip drinking on the Moshulu . Working in galley 6 , it was mostly the girls who were invited to partake of your cooking , that and it was always Engineers year ! Hoping it was not you who started ''The Prince poisoning '' , though 1/2 the crew went down on one trip ... not the rear galley 'tho .

I've followed both your 'pooting and banter skills with amazement for a few years , so it's good to reconnect after all this time .

Brgds Dave f .

PS another 1st for the day is trying a smiley .. :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Yes Dave...Our last trip was in ZP to Edinburgh and back. The other First Officer was Brown...there are only a few pages left after that in my final logbook as my last trip before retirement was on 18/12/85.

I absolutely loved that book "The Last Grain Race" by Newby...At the time I read it, I was sailing my own boat out to Horta in the Azores and back.

Do you still do any flying, or are you properly retired?

Do you remember Vic Catheral or his son Clive? Clive has his own little two seater Autogiro!