748 Queries

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Re: 748 Queries

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

The rasping is caused by the sudden air resistance as the propellers move into the constant speeding range, 10500-11500 RPM, dependant on mark, and into the flight fine range and there is a momentary pause or even reduction of rpm despite the power increase. Generally the bigger the propeller diameter the more pronounced the rasping sound. Depending on the pilots technique you could hear as many as three separate power bursts and rasps before the engine and propeller harmonised at take-off RPM.

[EDIT]

Keith;

The fine pitch stop setting was at 25' blade angle approx on Viscount 810's, plus the additional cruise or high stop at 38' ish ;)

The difference in prop diameter is well illustrated by comparison to the lock settings on the FH-227B; 16' and 28' respectively

Happy days :tunes:

cheers

Fraser

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Thanks for that explanation Fraser.The reduction in rpm that you mention is clearly audible in the Vanguard sounds. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Thanks Fraser, you saved me rummaging in the garage!!!
As you say Happy days!
Keith

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Viscount Cornbank wrote:The rasping is caused by the sudden air resistance as the propellers move into the constant speeding range, 10500-11500 RPM, dependant on mark, and into the flight fine range and there is a momentary pause or even reduction of rpm despite the power increase. Generally the bigger the propeller diameter the more pronounced the rasping sound. Depending on the pilots technique you could hear as many as three separate power bursts and rasps before the engine and propeller harmonised at take-off RPM.

[EDIT]

Keith;

The fine pitch stop setting was at 25' blade angle approx on Viscount 810's, plus the additional cruise or high stop at 38' ish ;)

The difference in prop diameter is well illustrated by comparison to the lock settings on the FH-227B; 16' and 28' respectively

Happy days :tunes:

cheers

Fraser
16 and 32 degrees on the Fokker 27's I worked on.
Different prop again.
Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Whose F-27s did you work on Pete?

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Company I worked for at the time, not AirUK or JEA! PH-FFF,PH-FGE, & PH-FEY.
There's a paint for one of them in the VA Fokker 27 thread in the members section of forum.
Aeroplanes were ex Icelandic with full power rated Dart 7's, unlike UK registered ones which had
derated ones.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.