Classic Airforce Collection

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Classic Airforce Collection

Post by dodger »

Hi Gents,

I visited the Museum in Newquay last week and it was a really great afternoon,

Just a few pictures of the newly arrived Qinetig 1-11 and their Anson, there were some other great old aircraft in the Hanger and around the the apron outside but i thought these pics might be of interest and if anyone is nearby in the summer you will certainly enjoy your visit i'm sure.

Here is the link to their site,

http://www.classicairforce.com/the-aircraft

Cheers,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Classic Airforce Collection

Post by DaveB »

Qinetig?? Qinetiq :)

Nice shots Rog ;) There's more seating inside than I expected.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Lovely shots indeed. I was expecting more "kit" inside, or at least racks. She looks very comfortable. :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Dave,

QinetiQ!! ;)

I'm tired after my 350 mile drive from my Daughters yesterday, getting to old :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

It's a ridiculous word anyway Rog. Gad knows how they expect anyone to get it right 8)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Never heard of this before, is it where Air Atlantique's classic flight aircraft have moved to along with a few others then?

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Darren,

Well i did not ask anybody that question but going by the aircraft there it looked like it might be,

I did talk to a chap about the Air Atlantique DC3 that was in the hanger and said about it stopping passenger flights from Coventry but he said they were flying the aircraft on flights in the west country,

I see on their web site they have the Nimrod at Coventry but knowbody could tell me how they were going to get it down to the Museum, now that would be great to see,

I suppose why i found it very interesting to me was that i fly most of the aircraft types there on the Flight Sim and it was great to see them up close and a couple flying short flights the Rapide G-AGTM,

In the hanger the Vickers Varsity was incomplete [no engines] and the Hawker Hunter was again not complete but perhaps in the process of being built,

Anyway like i said for me seeing some of the old aircraft i flew in when i was in the ATC a very enjoyable visit.

Cheers,

Roger.

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

dodger wrote:Hi Darren,

Well i did not ask anybody that question but going by the aircraft there it looked like it might be,

I did talk to a chap about the Air Atlantique DC3 that was in the hanger and said about it stopping passenger flights from Coventry but he said they were flying the aircraft on flights in the west country,

I see on their web site they have the Nimrod at Coventry but knowbody could tell me how they were going to get it down to the Museum, now that would be great to see,

I suppose why i found it very interesting to me was that i fly most of the aircraft types there on the Flight Sim and it was great to see them up close and a couple flying short flights the Rapide G-AGTM,

In the hanger the Vickers Varsity was incomplete [no engines] and the Hawker Hunter was again not complete but perhaps in the process of being built,

Anyway like i said for me seeing some of the old aircraft i flew in when i was in the ATC a very enjoyable visit.

Cheers,

Roger.
Looks like those photos were taken last Wednesday? :)

I'm a volunteer there and am usually to be found in the DC-3 or down amongst the aeroplanes. Yes, you are indeed correct, it is the Airbase Collection from Coventry which has moved down to Cornwall. Open since Easter, its starting to attract the tourists and although its early days, a lot is planned for the summer months.

The cost of bringing the Nimrod down is at the moment out of our pockets, but perhaps with local interest and support some day in the future, a Nimrod will be back in its old residency. The rest of the Varsity is still at Duxford awaiting delivery, but work has started on its refurbishment inside first. The Hunter is intended to be displayed on a pole at the entrance.

Best wishes,

Martin

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello Martin,

Your right, they were taken last Wednesday and i may very well had spoken to you during my visit in the afternoon, i sqeezed into the Venom cockpit in the hanger which i really enjoyed, although my wife thought i would never get out again!! :lol:

Very helpful and friendly staff there Martin,

Cheers,

Roger.

Adrian Petford
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Adrian Petford »

Although I'm a bit sad that the collection is in the process of moving from Coventry (Airbase was only thirty miles from me and I loved visiting), their new home in Newquay looks much superior and will hopefully bring in more money to preserve the types that don't currently earn their own keep.

I'm hoping to visit the new museum over the summer.

Ade