Another BA own goal

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Another BA own goal

Post by Garry Russell »

Always an extra risk with the Ten or any type with side by side engines as an u contained engine failure could take out the adjacent engine :worried: .

I've seen pics of that event...not a pretty sight...Super I think.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tonks
The Ministry

Post by Tonks »

It was indeed a Super Garry, BOAC AC G-ASGK on 27 Nov 1969... But it was a turbine failure rather than a compressor and thus pretty much uncontainable... Even today on modern engines they have to contain a compressor failure but not a turbine; rather like the case of the Qantas A380 . The IL-62 was far mor prone as there was no protection between the engines. I have the accident report and it is a very interesting read... I used to use it as a profile in the simulator to see what folks did!

Oh, and Chris, I wasn't trying to compare the torch with the scanner... However, I was saying that had they somehow got airborne it would not have brought the jet down as the papers would have you believe.... The damage caused is so dependent on may factors and the same item might do different damage on different days if circumstances change or to different engines. Th modern big fans are susceptible due o their close proximity to the ground when taxiing.

Tonks :)
It's NOT real!!!!!

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

A One-Eleven once arrived at EDI from LGW with a GS screwdriver in the intake. As it was lying across the Inlet Guide Vanes it never got sucked in.
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.