An unwanted guest?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: An unwanted guest?

Post by TSR2 »

Theres something in the back of my head that you might need Windows defender in addition to MSE on XP, but I just can't remember
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :)

I updated MSE a few days ago but I can't remember what pc it was on.. the XP, my Win7 or my uncle's Win7 laptop. :wall: I'm on the Vista laptop at the mo (can you feel the speed! :lol: ) so I'll turn the XP system back on and check ;) I wasn't aware Defender worked on XP :worried:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ben..

I'm on the XP system again and I can't see what version MSE is. Shall I just update it anyway?

EDIT: Can't find the current ver number but it says it was updated yesterday (28th). I'm at work early in the morning so I'll leave it until tomorrow pm ;)
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave :hello:
My layman's interpretation is that it is connected with the bitcoin system. The number of transactions being processed daily sounds large-ish. I'm thinking that they have somehow decided to use your connection as a free processor for their transactions, so it's not actually a virus, just a parasite. Maybe that's why MSE won't kill it, it is a "legit" programme to run. "Just not in my backyard" I hear you say, quite rightly. If it was on my system, I reckon that I'd try Control Panel, and see if I could find it resident on my disc(s). Failing that, I'd do a computer search for BTC.exe, and if that gives a location (maybe hidden file in any place), I'd try to delete it. That's just my humble offering. All care, no responsibility, Matey! :cpu: ;)

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Yeah, well, the whole bitcoin thing seems to be just another scam, with a thin veneer of 'respectability'.
It was certainly not developed for my benefit.
Exterminate...exterminate...exterminate...
Because, even if the people behind it are the most respectable finance sharks in the world, they are still finance sharks and they put the stuff on people's computers without bothering to tell them.
That happens to be illegal in many places, including Oz. :rant:

Y'all have a nice day, now...
MikeW

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that guy's. I'm not sure if it's legal here either.. it certainly shouldn't be. How in god's name can using someone elses pc without their knowledge be legal :dunno: If it's using CPU clock cycles.. it must also be using broadband and that can't be legal can it *-)

Mike.. it doesn't hide.. it's in plain sight including all the files it uses so I know where it is :) I think I'll just delete it and it's other files and suffer the consequences if something goes wrong. Not sure what to do about that file tor.exe? It seems to be another legit prog but if btc-miner is using it.. it'll have to go too :worried:

AYB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Hmm, I've just had an attack of the stutters on my FSX machine. Must have a shufti

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

DaveB wrote:

Mike.. it doesn't hide.. it's in plain sight including all the files it uses so I know where it is :) I think I'll just delete it and it's other files and suffer the consequences if something goes wrong. Not sure what to do about that file tor.exe? It seems to be another legit prog but if btc-miner is using it.. it'll have to go too :worried:

AYB
DaveB B)smk
Dave, you might wan to look at the Revo Uninstaller. The free version will do fine. It will remove the program and clear any perinent registry entries. If the offending program does not appear in the program list, there is a "Hunter Mode" that should work. see http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html for details, scroll down the page and you will see the blue tab to download the freeware version.

Nigel²
Last edited by nigelb on 30 Aug 2013, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

OK not my thread, but thanks for the HU Nigel, :thumbsup: I'll be d/l that in case something creeps into my system.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Nige ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage