Earth Simulations Isle of Man Scenery

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

biplaneflyer
Meteor
Meteor

Earth Simulations Isle of Man Scenery

Post by biplaneflyer »

Haven't downloaded this, will wait for boxed version, but as an ex-resident it looks impresive http://earthsimulations.com/. Far better than Orbx! :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Earth Simulations Isle of Man Scenery

Post by DaveB »

Hi BPF :)

Got a HU about this some weeks ago (being a valued customer 'n'all) but resisted.. primarily as I'm only on 10gb bandwidth so a good chunk of my monthly allowance would be gone in a flash! Was also a bit worried it'd run like GUE on my pc which isn't good. I'll get it one day though ;)

Not sure about it being released as a box/dvd version. I thought ES were stopping stocking DVD's *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

FYI i purchased last night but took ages to download the 11gb, will be installing tomorrow...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Had a look at it, as I'M THEIR VALUED CUSTOMER, DAVE, NOT YOU! :lol:
Thought it would be good to have, but rather expensive. Perhaps I'm just feeling stingy?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I'm sure it'll be great Mike. I got an email weeks ago saying as I was one of their top 100 customers.. would I like to buy and download IoM before it went on general sale. As previously mentioned.. the download would eat my entire montly BB allowance and cost me an extra fiver for the additional 5gb (they chuck in automatically at £5 per 5gb). I didn't/don't want it enough to pay a fiver more than everyone else (except those on a 10gb allowance). :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Er-hum! 'Scuse me chaps, but I have just taken a trip 1/3 around my spanking new ES IoM.

The download took about 24 hours, not counting the 20 plus hours wasted on two failed downloads, one being another system freeze, the second my mistake trying to restart after it stalled. Instead of right click, pause, right click resume, I accidentally cancelled with 3hrs to finish! Lost the lot!

The ES version is an experience!
Previously I was flying (can't remember which, ATM, but not default) over some fairly barren land, but this has specific buildings, traffic twisting along cliff-top roads, at least one ship in harbour, 4 airports and a number of helipads.

After download finished, I had to chair a club meeting, then scurried back to unzip. Had to download Winzip to handle it, then add all the files to scenery, overwrite several other FSX files, then sort the scenery into a designated order. From go to whoa, about 2 3/4 hrs. Selected EGNS, took 4 minutes to load terrain. Turned out to be night time. Reset to day, took 2 minutes to reload terrain. It was worth the wait!

Quite exhausted now, as we spent all day gardening, and the above has topped it off. Better get some sleep. Will post more when I calm down.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Failed to mention last night: in some building-rich places, down to 6 fps, but around the Northern area 20 fps. Mine is locked at 20 currently, but I've forgotten why I did that.

EDIT: SEE POST 13/09/2013. Now much higher.
Last edited by Airspeed on 13 Sep 2013, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Just to give an idea of ES IoM detail, here are some amateur screen shots:
Ronaldsway, in the A2A Cessna, Froggie reg:
Just landed:
Taxying toward control tower:
Finally parked without smashing anything:

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

Very nice shots, Mike! Quite mouthwatering!

Cheers,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Nick,
Out of respect for Ben's hosting, I used images between 250 Kb and 500 Kb. In their original multi Mb, they look even better, mate!

I should also report that I applied some of the tips in the manual, :rtfm: which upped the performance to 18 fps (near EGNS) to 48 fps (in the countryside). It still looks good, too!

BTW, I asked the good folk if they had built in the TT at particular times of year; they haven't, but say it would be a good enhancement.....mmmmm....the brain is ticking slowly!

A point to note is that if you download about now, you need the patches to go with it, which are on the same window as the main d/l. The original has an error in the runway surface at Andreas.

All my queries have been enthusiastically responded to, so that's extra points to them.