A Kenya PDF file...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

A Kenya PDF file...

Post by petermcleland »

Clicking the URL below should result in the download of a 174 page document of captioned photographs which summarises the years 1959, 1960 and 1961 of my time in Kenya on 208 Squadron. It is a PDF file of 174 pages and many extra photographs over the original PowerPoint presentation and there is no music with it. The document is 43.4MBs in size and when you open it...It will open in Adobe Reader or whatever else you have in your computer to view PDF files. Adobe Reader is a free download and recommended. The document is best viewed in Full Screen Mode...You find that under "View" and I think there is a shortcut of CTRL+L for it. I use "Internet Download Manager" for my downloads and this file takes less that one minute. I use the Page Down key to progress through the document.

Please do not click this URL unless you really want to look at a large document:-

http://www.petermcleland.com/documents/ ... _Kenya.pdf

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: A Kenya PDF file...

Post by Filonian »

Took a while to stream Peter, but well worth the wait.

The shots of the Rift Valley remind me of the time we travelled from Blantyre to Lilongwe and stopped for a break overlooking said valley.

A truly wonderful sequence Peter, many thanks for taking the trouble to post/share. Must bring back some wonderful memories for you.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thank you Graham...I'm delighted that you enjoyed it :)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Well! I don't think 'pdf file' or '174 page document' quite do this justice, Peter!

As a lazy start to my Sunday, I thought I'd have a quick look over my first coffee and see what it was all about. I downloaded it onto the iPad in a few seconds and stored it in iBooks in under a minute.

It took me two cups of coffee to get through it, even in skimming mode. And that's not because there's too much of it - it's because it's so interesting and the photographs are exceptional. They really capture the feeling of the time and of being there. You really did have the skill of catching the moment and of catching people being at ease.

You've obviously put a lot of hard work into digitising and creating this album and although it's obviously very personal, it is also of great interest to any of us who are interested in Classic British aircraft. It is also of historic interest.

Well done, Peter, and thank you so much for making it available to us. If anyone is hesitant about downloading this due to Peter's rather modest description of it, then don't be! It is essential viewing!

I shall be saving this and sharing it with others.

Ian :)

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Wonderfully evocative pictures, Peter. Was the Ord's car a Derby Bentley or possibly a Lagonda ?

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

cstorey wrote:Wonderfully evocative pictures, Peter. Was the Ord's car a Derby Bentley or possibly a Lagonda ?
Chris,
The car belonged to Dinger Bell (later a Red Arrow pilot for three seasons on the Gnat). It was a Lagonda and I drove it once...It was a terrifying experience because the throttle was in between the brake and the clutch...I was fearful that if anything were to happen in front that required emergency braking, my natural reflexes would lift my foot off the throttle and slam it on the clutch!! :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thank you Ian,

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it...Yes I view it on my iPad but I use it on Cabinet, but iBooks is just as good. I built the file originally on my PC as a Word file and then converted it to PDF for sharing purposes...It looks very good in Adobe Reader on Full Screen Mode and my big Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070 monitor. :)

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Peter : I shared a Wolseley Hornet of about 1933/4 in the early 60s, and that had a centre throttle ( and also a right hand gearchange of the sort that invariably went up your trouser leg whilst getting in) . It does take some getting used to ! Fortunately, I don't remember any emergency occurring

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Peter,you very kindly sent me a bound and printed document some time ago entitled '208 Squadron In Kenya' Is this the same document? I ask only to save downloading it if it's not necessary.Regards EricT :hello:
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

Peter,

What a wonderful piece of work, it contains all my passions, Photography, Classic British Aviation, British Colonial History.

I keep bugging my family to do the same for their time in Singapore in the 1960's, and I shall certainly be sending this link to them as inspiration to do so.

Saved to my iPad to read on a few pending long flights.

Best,

Fraser