I made my own AI flightplans

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

I made my own AI flightplans

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I finally had a crack at making my own flightplans, using AIFP.
Having searched the usual download sites, I could not find any flightplans containing the new Air India service to Birmingham.
I was able to find the correct aircraft and colour scheme, so set out to make my own plans. Through much trial and error, I now have an Air India B787-8 arriving at BHX every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at around 6pm as per the real schedule.
I know this is only a simple flightplan involving one aircraft and two airports, but as they say 'Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow'.
I plan to try filling other gaps at Birmingham - Air Blue are starting a twice weekly Islamabad/Lahore - Birmingham service with an A340 at the end od the month. And then a slightly more complex setup would be the BMI regional services.
It' a steep learning curve, but I'm having fun.

Regards

Kevin

P.S. not sure if this is the correct section of the forum, so please move if required.
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: I made my own AI flightplans

Post by DaveB »

Hi Kevin :hello:

No.. it's fine here and well done on getting to grips with AIFP. For my part.. something seems to go wrong whenever I've tried to use it so I usually end up making a plan with TTools then converting it to FSX format. It's fair to say that I'm not much on RTFM these days which probably hasn't helped :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Cheers Dave.

Yes, the manual is quite lengthy so I had a quick reading and then go back to it when I encounter a problem. I'm still at a very early stage, but did attempt the BHX timetable for BMI Regional last night. Most of it went OK, but a second aircraft seems to be required for the Sunday operation. The way I tried to incorporate this (which seemed logical to me), set all aircraft to 'Aircraft 2'. Back to the manual! Also, I made an error with a flight number (not anything which will stop the plans working) and have yet to learn how to edit the plans.
All part of the learning curve.

Regards

Kevin

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Kevin :hello:

Indeed.. that's something I've seen all too often :lol: It's a great tool and will be infinitely easier to use than TTools once you get the hang of it. I'm sure I'll give it another go at some point in the future and I may even read the manual too ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Post by JohnD »

Hi Kevin

Brilliant - You will find it very addictive and really enjoyable.

I love creating them, My latest ones are Old Warden Air Display - take offs and landings morning and afternoon. Bruntingthorpe takes off and landings using Lightnings, Victor, Valiant and Vulcan. Both fictional of course but great to sit there and watch or even seeing them when flying overhead.

I use TTools and find it very easy, although to start with it was a steep learning curve.

Best wishes

John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Thanks, guys.

I've managed to incorporate 2 aircraft into the same flightplan, but after so much trial and error (I found the manual quite vague on this), I'm not exactly sure what I did.
JohnD wrote:Hi Kevin

My latest ones are Old Warden Air Display - take offs and landings morning and afternoon. Bruntingthorpe takes off and landings using Lightnings, Victor, Valiant and Vulcan. Both fictional of course but great to sit there and watch or even seeing them when flying overhead.

I use TTools and find it very easy, although to start with it was a steep learning curve.

Best wishes

John
John, that all sound quite impressive. I'd love to see the fast jets performing.
I have used TTools a lot in the past, but just to convert downloaded '.Txt' files into flightplans. I've never written my own previously. I'm now using AIFP as I fly exclusively in P3D (although any flightplans should work equally well in FSX).
Thanks for your comments and I'll keep trying (and hopefully improving) with AIFP.

Regards

Kevin

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Kevin Farnell wrote:I have used TTools a lot in the past, but just to convert downloaded '.Txt' files into flightplans. I've never written my own previously. I'm now using AIFP as I fly exclusively in P3D (although any flightplans should work equally well in FSX).
I was the same as you, Kevin. After becoming reasonably proficient with TTools in FS9, I was struggling to get started with AIFP to do some simple plans in P3D. Ben was insistent that it was the way to go so I stuck with it and he's right. Once you've cracked it it's much simpler and quicker.

As you say, the flight plans for FSX and P3D are the same and AIFP has an easy check to ensure there are no pesky FS9 AI files anywhere in your live folders. And then there's always need to mention a reminder about the bug with P3D and VFR flight plans which can cause much heartbreak if you forget about it. IFR are fine.

Have fun

Ian :)

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Thanks for your comment, Ian.

The FS9 check by AIFPis certainly useful. I'm aware of the VFR bug within P3D (I understand they will fix it in Version 2) and use the tickbox in Simlauncher to reset this. I suspect though that as soon as REX sets any weather requiring IFR that the bug will reset itself.

Regards

Kevin