Apple iOS 7 now available

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Apple iOS 7 now available

Post by speedbird591 »

The new Apple mobile operating system iOS 7 is out now and available for download and installation on later iPhones, iPods and iPads.

In the interests of science I got cyberbrat to install it first on his ipad2 so I could see what it looks like and how it works. I'm glad I did. I think it's horrible as all the pretty icons have changed. It's cleaner and simpler than iOS 6 - it looks very clean and basic but all the functions are there.

Sadly it's not as pretty as 6 and i don't know what to do. Stick to the pretty 6 that I've just fallen in love with or move along Apple's new minimalist path.

Oh dear - decisions, decisions.

Any other iPad and iPhone users out there might want to have a look at this review before deciding on the upgrade

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

It took a couple of hours to download and install over wifi so make sure you've got plenty of battery life before you start. It's quite a deep change and not just cosmetic but at least it installed and worked fine on cyberbrat's device. I'll probably do it after I've got over the initial shock :S

Ian :)

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Apple iOS 7 now available

Post by Tomliner »

I'll probably do it after I've got over the initial shock
Good idea Ian,you try it first and let us know how you get on.We're right behind you. :agree: :lol: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed :lol:

My daughter mentioned iOS7 this morning and I showed her Ian's comments. She's of much the same mind and has pledged to hang on to iOS6 until Apple hound her to upgrade :lol: I'm glad I don't have this problem with my Sony Ericsson C510 :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Sounds like something I'd prefer *-) :dunno:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

My daughter "upgraded" this morning, but she's not sure she likes it :lol:
Probably be OK once she gets used to it.
Dave G.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

DaveG wrote:My daughter "upgraded" this morning, but she's not sure she likes it :lol:
Probably be OK once she gets used to it.
:lol: The impetuousness of youth! I think I'll try and like it before I "upgrade".

At least it seems to work and all you have to do is like or dislike it! I'm sure Apple know what's best for me ... I just need a little bit more brainwashing :worried:

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

All,
I've installed it and think its nicer. Seems a lot fresher. I suppose that one you get used to it it'll be just as good if not better.
I'll report any massive disasters should they befall me!!

Paul

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi Paul. After my last post I thought "What the hell!" And just did it anyway :lol:

I've just come back on line and, as you say, it's much cleaner and crisper and makes iOS 6 look a bit old fashioned :worried:

I told you Apple knew best!

So that's the iPad - let's see how I get on with the phone ...

Ian B-)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I installed it last night at around midnight but I'm not too enchanted with it...I certainly preferred the old icons. I suspect that most of the changes were just for changes sake! I expect I will get used to it and need to find the manual to see all the new "advantages". I used to do a four fingered swipe up the screen to reveal a line of icons below which were all the things currently running...Then I could hold my finger on one of them and they would all get a "Close" bar on them which when I tapped it would stop that App running. I could then go along and shut them all down so that nothing was running...I have not yet found how to do this in IOS 7.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

petermcleland wrote:I used to do a four fingered swipe up the screen to reveal a line of icons below which were all the things currently running...Then I could hold my finger on one of them and they would all get a "Close" bar on them which when I tapped it would stop that App running. I could then go along and shut them all down so that nothing was running...I have not yet found how to do this in IOS 7.
Hi Peter. I've just checked with my stepson and this feature still exists but is even cooler! A four-finger swipe up from the bottom of the home page still shows the row of icons of running Apps and above them is a screen shot of the program. Swiping them sideways will animate them to slide across the screen and when you find the one(s) you want to close you just flick the screenshot up to the top of the screen with your finger and it disappears, closing the App.

Or a tap on the mini screen will open the App.

It's more fun than the shaking crosses :lol: