Avro Shackleton - YouTube alert

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Avro Shackleton - YouTube alert

Post by delticbob »

Rest assured I'm not going to make this a regular occurrence. The VHS tape I recently transferred to PC was book-ended by two precious, (to me), videos. The first was the 'Canberra' film I shared with you a day or so ago.

The tape ends with another 30 minuter from the BBC, at a time when their programming was less bland that now.
(Thinks out loud!! "How nice these programmes would go on 'DAVE' instead of wall to wall Top Gear 0:) ")

The BBC ran a series called Perpetual Motion that looked at engineering icons such as the Route Master bus, the Morris minor car & 'The Old Grey Lady' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elENLa01XHA

Filmed during the last few months of the Shack's RAF service, when first transmitted it was unsure if any Mk 2 airframes would survive. History decided that, & God willing & with a wind straight down the runway it might not be too long till four RR Griffons are dragging and elderly old lady back into the air, (that's WR963 at Coventry BTW B-) ).

Enjoy
(& I'll slip back into the shadows again :shhh: )

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Avro Shackleton - YouTube alert

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Bob. The TV is pony tonight (isn't it every night!) so this ray of sunshine will take up 30mins ;) Think I'll wait until SWMBO has gone to work though :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Thanks Bob, another enjoyable 1/2 hour,

Cheers,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. just watched and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to copy and upload it Bob :thumbsup:

I hope Brian Withers pop's in and see's this thread. He spent some 2000 deafening hours on Mk3's ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Thank you Bob, I enjoyed that. :)

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Cracking video Bob! :welldone: It shows just how to make a documentary on aircraft. I think today's offerings from film makers are poor. (And it has no music on it either) :thumbsup:

Nev

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your video.
Could you please tell us all what device you used to transfer your tape to digital?
I bought an Easycap recently. I can save the video OK, but the sound doesn't record.
My VHS only has 1 video, 1 sound plug, so I don't know if that makes a difference?
How about software? I have ULead which comes with the device, and Serif movie starter edition.
I want to digitise all my air show tapes before they go extinct.
BTW If you don't respond, I just won't read it. ;)

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

I use a USB AV grabber.

Its says on the box.....now I've found it! Scart to USB Video Capture kit

The grabber device has a usb lead at one side for the computer & red/yellow/white RCA phono plugs on the other end lead whic plug into (the supplied) Scart socket. I record on the PC using Roxio 10 (I think it is) & you can record in various formats, AVI, mpeg-2 or 4 depending if its just audio. Yes I have tried a couple of formats the do end up with out of sync voices...the Shack video is slightly out, but the main problem is the file size, not having it on the PC I have 1TB HDD, but uploading. The half hor programme takes somewhere between 90 & 120 mins, which is why I've only shared 2.

Hope that helps.

I bought it through my employer...(named after a very long South American River). There are several listed on their site, Cheap as chips but its the file size that makes you go WHAT! :wall:

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

richw_82
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by richw_82 »

Hi all,

I'm Rich Woods of the Shackleton Preservation Trust, keeping WR963 live and kicking at Coventry Airport. I'd just like to say thanks to Bob for posting that video its absolutely wonderful, and provides a great glimpse of the end of the Shack's service career.

While I can't offer you all a flying Shack (yet), WR963 will be running her engines up at Coventry Airport on Sat 28 Sept at 1.30pm. This will be the first engine run in a while since having a brief rest indoors while the mainwheels were changed. All are welcome, access is through the West Entrance, signposted as DC6 Diner. There is a small charge for entrance onto the aircraft and there may be limited spaces for visitors on board the Shackleton during the run.

Last but by no means least, who would I need to talk to about a Flight Sim Shack? The old freeware MR2 AEW2 was pretty good, but could be so much better. More so with the resources I can offer if anyone fancies a crack at it.

Kind regards,

Rich W
Shackleton Preservation Trust

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Rich,
Rob Richardson has also done an MR3 in flyable and AI versions. That may not be showing up in searches due to the hacking of Britsim's site.
If you're trying to raise some dosh, can your group produce DVD versions of that documentary?

And Bob, thanks for your info.; there's no scart plug in any of my gear, including the player, mine is all separate plugs.

I'll just "plug on" and see what I can produce.