The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Grounded / CD issues

Post by WhisperJet »

Gentlemen,

after a long while I wanted to get back to FS9 yesterday - however I remained grounded, as my FS9 wont fire up due to the FS9-CD4 cannot be read by the CD-drive anymore.
I'm about to try with an external drive in a few days but looking at the CD I believe it's the CD - looks quite scratched, probably the result of my 1-year old son during one of his crusades through my office... :wasntme:

So if the external drive wont work - do you have any other ideas of solving the problem?
Just naive dreaming: maybe some sort of software making the use of the CD obsolete or something?

Any inputs are appreciated -
and it not - maybe the time has come for moving to the dark side... :OB:

Cheers,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Re: Grounded / CD issues

Post by PaulC »

Come on, it's nice over here. (Deep, raspy breathing :OB: )

Well most of the time it is!! I toyed with both for a long time but finally made the move over some time ago. The only thing I really miss is the fact I lost my Flight 1 Concorde. The rest is better when you get used to it.

Paul

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nick..

Do any friends there have an FS9 CD you can borrow? Once you get it installed, add the 9.1 update then 9.1 NOCD patch then disc 4 will be history :) If all else fails, I'll post mine over to you ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I still prefer FS9 over FSX as frame rates are a lot better unless one turns a lot of the sliders down. I also found that installing FSX VFR scenery was badly affecting frame rates, so thats turned off. Mind you I have only an average set up of 4GB RAM, 2 core AMD & a Nvidia GT630. More Ram might do a lot better.
As for the #4 CD mine is still OK but I have a second installation that uses a No CD crack, & I have to use the crack also on my laptop as the CD reader has gone T**s up & I cannot find a replacement!
Good luck
Keith

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Crikey, Nick, It's been many years since you needed to use a CD to run FS9! Where have you been? :lol:

As per Dave's reply, IF you have FS9 installed, there are two patches you can add - one for FS9 and one for FS9.1.

This link for FS9.1:

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/ ... -cd-patch/

If you really haven't updated to MSFS 9.1 you can do so from here:

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/ ... pdate-v91/

Or if you prefer to stay with FS9.0, use this No CD patch:

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/ ... ator-2004/

Or here's another offer. You can have my copy of FS2004 for nothing by sending your address via PM. I will never use it again and CD4 is barely used as I had the patch.

It's important that you use the correct NO CD patch for your version of FS - 9.0 or 9.1

Ian :)

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Hi Nick

I've rescued scratched music CD's before by using a cutting polish (something like T-Cut) and then finer car polishes. At your own risk obviously, but if it wont run what have you to lose?

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

Gentlemen,

first of all - many thanks for your kind replies!!!
(and sorry the belated answer, I was out of office unexpectedly)
speedbird591 wrote:Crikey, Nick, It's been many years since you needed to use a CD to run FS9! Where have you been? :lol:
:hide:

I admit, I never updated anything. As with everything in my life I run the never-change-a-winning-team-philosophy, which is one of the reasons I am still with FS9. I actually fly DM's 1-11 and RP's 748 for 95% of my Sim-Time and they are fabulous products in FS9 (before anyone asks - the remaining 5% are spent on Marcel Kuhnt's Trislander, when I get my channel moments). But all payware planes I got remain grounded most of the time... ;)

Anyway - I really appreciate all your help - I shall try with Ian's download links first.
And if that doesn't work I'll get back to one of your kind offerings!!!

Thanks again & best wishes from Lower Austria,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

Okay, there's been quite some time from AUG16 to yesterday...
But since one year I run my own business and so I don't find too much time for simming... :|

Anyway yesterday I finally found three free hours and download from Ian's link - and a few moments later G-AXLL took off into the virtual evening sun at Caselle... :)
So this is just meant as a big thank you gents! for your kind help!!

Best wishes & have a good week,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Excellent Nick :thumbsup: The only time you should ever need your discs now is for a re-install ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!