AWACS

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

AWACS

Post by Swanoir »

Just flew over my house on final approach to Newcastle. I thought military types knocked off at 2.30 on a Friday afternoon?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: AWACS

Post by Garry Russell »

Isn't there supposed to be heightened security at the moment???

Perhaps some extra training.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Could be. I quite often see the odd military type coming in, but now I think of it I have noticed more than usual this week including a C130 and one of those AEW things which I forget the name which is based on the Bombardier Challenger I think. I've often wondered why Newcastle is so popular with the military, I'm sure other civilian airports in the UK don't get the same treatment. I wonder what they use it for? Could be a vast secret hidden base built under it! :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It is, all at least was and maybe still is, a diversion airport and a practice diversion arfield.

They have had many military types of all flavours over the years.
Garry

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

I only see a fraction of what must come in and out of here. I've long since given up running to the window when I hear a fighter roaring past on take off. I realised you can't out run an afterburner! That's another thing I don't get. Everyone has to stick to noise abatement rules like glue, but the RAF are allowed to blast over my house in pairs of Tornadoes on full reheat at night! What's all that about? :dunno:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Maybe not so much call today. :dunno:

As for the noise thingy..locally the RAF were exempt from all that, but, required, if possible to abide by it.

Basically if you can please do, but for operational reasons thay often can't.

If on a war footing even if only practicing for the real thing, they can do what they like.

What does amaze me is the new generation of civil jets that use special shaped exhaust and high bypass ratio engines to achieve as much power as they can.

The Military still squirt out a big hole and set fire to it...certainly gets the power up...but the fuel economy is dire :lol: . but this only goes to show the requrement is very different for fighters at least and so it follows they can't comply.

Civil aircraft are very quiet nowadays and miltary are not flying around in the numbers they did, so noise isn't really a problem now.

OK the odd occasion but life get loud noises now and then from many sources.

Some boats like high speed catamarans are very noisey and and the noise an vibration long lasting, but no one ever complains about it or tries to get boats banned. :dunno: :lol:

I often think aircraft noise abatement issues nowadays are more of a fashion to complain about than a reality.

They even request Cessna 172 and Cherokees etc to comply with noise abatement procedures. :doh:
Garry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

There are a number of military zones up this way over the North Sea. Im not sure way they use Newcastle (other than for diversions or practice diversions) as Leuchars isn't that far up the road. Maybe they're preparing for a "yes" vote :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol:
Garry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

miltary are not flying around in the numbers they did, so noise isn't really a problem now.
:-#

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Hi guys , I guess there's not so many military bases left ; and practice diversions to unfamiliar places really do improve skills . Remember that even with glass cockpits and simulators , it's still challenging to fly the unfamiliar , and that skills get rusty without use .
B4 Newcastle got a parallel taxiway , you had to do a 3 point turn to taxy to the terminal if landing on 07 .... 1/2 way round turn in a full Trident , a Phantom , decided on a low go around after his ILS , think we had 2 scorch marks on the roof paint work . The Skipper and 100 punters were not happy , not to mention weepy cabin crew ; as the F4 boys soon found out !
Don't think the Skipper was our ''Uncle Pete Mac ''..........

rgds dave f