L-188 Electra FS9 version..

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

gannet
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

L-188 Electra FS9 version..

Post by gannet »

Hi,
..this is the J R Lucariny model with Fraser McKay panel of which I speak. The difficulty I am having is trying to land on an ILS; as soon as it captures the glide slope the aircraft shoots up to 6oooft or so and this is unsettling for the passengers. Once disconnected from the autopilot, the plane will eventually return to normal flight and land....

Both the model and panel are superb, but I am wondering if my troubles are to do with the fact of there being 2 models ELE11VG and L188A_Electra11 and I have probably jumbled them up. More likely than not *-) I may have to start again!

Andy.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: L-188 Electra FS9 version..

Post by Garry Russell »

Are you loading it straight in or loading a default aircraft first. Default aircraft act as a reset for the game.

Many models, including those here use special coding and that modifies the basic setting of the game. If a default aircraft is not loaded first, it might cause a problem by loading special code on top of special code.

Worth trying if only for elimination
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

gannet
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gannet »

Hi,
I always load the Cessna at KSEA first, scroll through the screens and then change the aircraft...in fact this time i deleted what I'd put in and just uploaded the base 'l188ap pack' and it was just the same chaotic end to the flight!
Hand flying skills will need to be improved. I might try a different autopilot as a little test.

Andy.

edit: redownloaded the file, loaded it up and found it all worked as it should! That panel is a work of art. Thank you Mr McKay and to Mr Lucariny as well for the aircraft.

A.

Charlie Hotel
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Charlie Hotel »

I like this aircraft too and I've been flying it a lot recently for some reason.

I never had a problem with the ILS or the panel. The version I am using is FML188A.zip.
There are a few L188 versions knocking around so if you have another version, it may be a good idea to remove it from your aircraft folder before installing this one.

gannet
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gannet »

Hi,
I think I now have the FML188A version
The panel and everything is now working mostly as it should ! except that if I save a flight the autopilot switches now operate upside down :dunno: Maybe I'm just getting old, but now I now that I don't need to panic quite so much.

Andy.

ps
Apologies for banging on about this, but it's interesting! The package has 2 panel options, and it seems as if there is a conflict with our computer (W8.1) with the Approach part of the ILS in the plain 'panel'...as soon as the aircraft locks on to the beam to turn onto the heading, it will shoot straight up! However, with the 'IFS' panel, everything goes normally. I think that may be it anyway 8)

Andy.

gannet
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gannet »

Hi,
In fact the airplane flies up whichever panel I use; it must be some other thing I'm not noticing as I switch to the auto ILS capture 8) More testing required!
Andy.

Charlie Hotel
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Charlie Hotel »

That's strange, I don't have a problem with mine - ILS lock is as good as FS9 usually is ( :lol: )

It's a while since I installed the Electra, but I used the installer package in fml188ap_with model.zip and I can't remember there being an option with 2 panels. Perhaps you have another Electra panel somewhere which is mucking things up?
I just checked my FS9 Aircraft folder and indeed there is an IFS panel and in fact that's the one I usually use.
Are you already on autopilot before you switch to Auto ILS?

gannet
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gannet »

Hi,

this is the normal FML188ap.the wonderful JR Lucariny model and Fraser McKay panel (there are 2 panel options in the folder and I'm suspicious that both create the same effect )... in fact i am beginning to suspect the "landing" flap position is the culprit and I am going to try a landing or two with just 2 clicks of flap, as everything is so smooth until the moment it heads skyward :lol: I use the word 'smooth' in it's widest sense. The flight is with the autopilot, both GPS and and Manual Auto and Heading modes used and picking up the ILS both manually and using the Auto mode and it is just that last minute or so coming round onto the approach to the runway where everything goes a bit pear-shaped. My approach speed is about 140 and slowing, but once this funny turn takes hold we are up to about 3500 ft and 260 knots before I can stub my fag out in the co-pilots coffee mug.

I'm halfway through a flight now and I'll post again at it's end!

Andy.

gannet
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gannet »

Hi,

Using the non IFS panel and 78% (2 clicks) flap, made an ILS landing with ease at 140 knots, so I am fairly convinced it's the last flap position that was causing the problem. What might be done about that I have no idea!

Andy.

Later; another landing with the other panel, 'landing' flaps as well and everything went perfectly by my standard, so everybody survived. Just a glitch!

A.

Charlie Hotel
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Charlie Hotel »

Andy,

When you mentioned the flaps, it rang a bell with me cos I remember the Electra floating up like a balloon if flaps are applied at too high a speed. As a rule of thumb, I select flaps 1st position at 200 kIAS, 2nd position at 175 kIAS and LAND position on the glideslope at about 140 kIAS. My Vat is usually about 120 kIAS.
I let the autopilot handle the trim after changing flap position, and it does take a few ups and downs until it is settled.

Anyway, looks like you are sorted.

CH