Anyone using the Russian Migration Tool?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Anyone using the Russian Migration Tool?

Post by J0hn »

For FSX to P3Dv2.

Freeware, but I have read mixed opinions, with one saying it completely messed up his installation (but without elaborating).

I do have the Estonian tool, but I don't like the fact that it calls home, or that new versions are downloaded by the prog itself, rather than me being able to download the latest version.

Ta.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Anyone using the Russian Migration Tool?

Post by DaveG »

Haven't used any migration tools myself. Don't see the need TBH. :dunno:
Dave G.

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Just makes things easier for those of us who can't be bothered with messing around (or would rather spend the time doing something else ;) ).

I've been reading comments around the net and the overall opinion is that it works well. I think people having issues are the sort of people who have issues with most things.

http://parshukov.com/2014/09/russian-mi ... 4-support/

I might give it a try later - if I do, I'll report back on how it goes. At the moment, I'm installing very little, as I don't have much time to fly.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I don't use it either, but the only addon I have is FSUIPC which has its own installer.

The only addons with necessary installers are those which add dlls into the P3D folders or which have security checks. Normal scenery and aircraft can be installed to a dummy folder and then moved to the correct place.
George

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Yes, those aren't a problem, George. It's things such as Carenado aircraft and Aerosoft scenery that these tools are handy for, to name just a couple. It just saves me having to check if it has installed anything elsewhere, or made any changes to xml.dll or such-like.

The installer thinks it is installing to FSX, whereas it just installs to P3Dv2 instead, and writes the config or xml stuff to a fake FSX file, which is then routed to P3D.

It basically saves people who are either a) lazy (hello :hello: ) or b) don't trust themselves to sort any issues.

The Estonian tool is payware - this one is free.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'm with 'lazy' JD :thumbsup:

I'd give a couple of quid for a program that would make ship tracks with a couple of clicks rather than the trauma of having to open up Google Smirf.. add this.. draw this.. save this.. edit what you've saved to remove the rubbish then compile it using another program. I wanna go from here to there with these ships.. click.. works for me :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

What advantage does the Russian one have over the Estonian one ? ( Apart from tanks massing on the border )

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I gather it's free!

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ah okay, well I'll stick with the Estonia one. It's worked nicely with P3Dv2 so far. :)

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

I'm sure the sticklers (no-one in particular) will be pleased to know that I have not used either migration tool this time around, and have checked and moved the necessary entries manually :)

It's actually quite interesting, as it lets you know more about what is going on and where certain files come from or which add-on installed them.