Police Helicopters Under Threat

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Police Helicopters Under Threat

Post by DaveB »

It is what it is Tony.. for better or worse :party:

I can actually see yet another side too having served in the Armed Forces for 16 years.. another burden on the tax payer that has been cut by successive governments. It is (or was) as the saying goes.. life in a blue suit followed by another favourite.. you shouldn't have joined up if you couldn't take a joke ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Lol don't get me started on our military Dave....9 years in blue (RAF) and so far 14 years in green (NHS Paramedic) when I joined 1983, 65,000 applied for 9,000 jobs....now the air force looks for approx 1500 a year.....shocking :'(

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I'm almost sorry I posted this in the first place as it seems to have gone o/t some. Did anyone sign the petition though?

Another snippet for retired Police and Fire Brigade that may be here ..... any retirees between 1998 and 2006 (I believe) may be interested. There is a Facebook group - apparently the Government miscalculated commutation amounts and not insubstantially either. They after fighting for compensation and seeking MP's sign an Early Day Motion.
info here https://www.facebook.com/groups/3749554 ... 9/?fref=nf
You have to supply proof of service and be invited to join as the group is closed.
It is interesting to note that all MP's are quite on our side ....... oh... uh.... except for the Tories of course. Any normal person you would think would expect the Tories to be on the side of law and order but no Labour has always been our friend.

Sorry Dave OT even further. But the group is not very well know as of yet.
Alex

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Tony Madge. If you look me up in Who's Who, you will find that I am , perhaps, not just " an armchair critic" as you call me so disparagingly. It is your sort of attitude which has caused such trouble , and in particular , has resulted in Juries being so sceptical , and cynical , about the police, with , as I have said, disastrous consequences . Perhaps, on mature reflection, you may think that an apology is in order for your intemperate post
Would be better if you told me who you were rather than direct me somewhere, after all I told you who I was and how I could quantify my comments on a basis of experience.

My attitude sir, well I could go on about the various things "my attitude" did with 28 years of service the many commendations for doing my job, the people I worked closely with inside the community, I served for many years on the beat then front line policing, fast response driver, how many times have you been threatened that your about to be put in a body bag, that your being followed home, your family are going to be...well I wont go into the gory details, I wont tell you about being just with one other officer in the middle of 2000 people "kicking off" that's when you realise how quick your reactions have to be...thank goodness for adrenaline ;)

But I forgot to mention that the other bit of the job that people forget, its not all war and battles, no it's going to homes and telling people that their loved one has been killed in an accident, sometimes that loved one is 10 years old. I destroyed a family that night and that stayed with me for as long as the violent threats that sometimes get to your head and make sleep difficult. You see there are many jobs that the police do and never get reported. I don't doubt that the bad apples are there, just these days they are quickly removed and that is good for public trust. Sadly senior managers in the Police now are more concerned about ACE jobs (arse covering exercises) than serving the public, they make decisions that the boys and girls on the front line have to pay the price for.....

So you want an apology? The only thing I am sorry for is you your lack of knowledge on a subject that is close to many who have given service to their community who would find your comments misjudged etc, maybe your a high court judge? I do not know and I do not care all I would say is that the public need the police to keep our communities safer, the police need the public to support them to do this.....

I am not on Who's Who not even a clue as to what qualifies a person to be on it, in fact I am not really interested in that. I have enjoyed my work in the police and only in the last few years I saw so many changes that made me realise it was time to go. One last thing, I decided that my goal every day was to make a difference to at least one person on my "patch". That may have been something that to some was low level but to the person concerned very important. It may have been something far more higher profile, but I kept to that policy, sadly due to this awful Governments attitude to the public sector that job of "making a difference" got harder and harder to do... That was when I knew it was time to go..

So Sir that's me and why I made those comments, I do not know what your job is or was I am sure you did a very good job and in a professional manner that was a credit to you. I would hope that if I made disparaging remarks about your role you would tell me off for not researching my subject and also not to believe everything that goes into a newspaper...
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Well, although this is not something I have revealed before, since you ask I will tell you. I am Queen's Counsel , and I sat as a Recorder in the Crown Courts for nearly 20 years in all , and between about 1985 and 2007 I was instructed from time to time through the Police Federation to assist Police Officers in difficulties. This included , tragically, appearing on 2 occasions for Widows of Police officers who were murdered in the course of their duties. I learned a good deal about public attitudes to serving officers , and indeed in disciplinary work I learned a good deal about the attitude of senior Officers to those reporting to them. I can only report the public perception of the Police it as I have seen it from, as it were, both sides of the fence: I am not against the Police, but equally it is no use burying one's head in the sand and thinking that the Police still command the respect which they once did . As I have suggested earlier , the turning of our unarmed Police Forces, which were the envy of the world , into armed men in significant numbers under control the quality of which has been debatable at best , has caused a catastrophic loss of public confidence. In addition , it seems to have led criminals into believing that their use of weapons is somehow legitimised , judging by the increase in use of firearms in the furtherance of crime

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

I think it is about time this thread was locked, don't you?

Nev

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Scorpius wrote:I think it is about time this thread was locked, don't you?

Nev
Not until people have had the chance to respond further, Nev, surely. It's a very contentious issue, but the discussion is quite civil, and we're all grown ups. :)

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Thank you for informing us of your role in the judicial system I would say that is a job I would not wish to do and have utmost respect for those that carry out that role. I will stay with my views and no doubt you will stay with yours. This means we will have to agree to disagree ;)
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Well, Tony, our views are not in fact that far apart, despite what you thought, so I am glad that we can agree to differ . Perhaps on flying topics we shall have much in common, because, like you, I was keen on flying and sad when I had to give it up

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

.. and on that note, I'll put this thread to bed. It has ended in a civil manner and I don't want to risk someone popping in out of the blue to stir the mud again, whether this be tomorrow or many months down the road. ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!