Indiana Jones Luck runs out!!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Indiana Jones Luck runs out!!

Post by DaveB »

The report says he had engine trouble at takeoff so he's lucky to get anywhere really :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I wqas always under the impression on takeoff if there is an engine failure you should not turn and try and make it back?
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Indeed...something like 30? degrees left or right, gradual and make you choice or you stall in
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Dev One wrote:Sounds as if he was trying too hard to reach the runway & stalled at about 200' from one eyewitness. Should have done the 757 pilots trick & retracted the flaps to get more distance....?
Or was that the BA 777?
Garry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

simondix wrote:I wqas always under the impression on takeoff if there is an engine failure you should not turn and try and make it back?
Yes, I was taught to go straight ahead, in an aircraft that had no flaps, but if you look at the post on SOH(?) he didn't have much option as there are so many houses built right up to the airfield boundary.....

777, Yes Garry could be, I think you know the one I'm alluding to at LAP, but Boeing numbers always confuse me in their tubeliner series....
Keith

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

G-YMMM from China, ice waxing causing a double flameout.
Garry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Brian: ".....I wonder which cockpit you use when you fly...solo?......."
Probably the left Han one.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Rule 1. Never turn back. In the turn with no engine and falling airspeed, you stall. End.
Rule2. Pilots never 'steer' aircraft (the media expression) to avoid buildings. That is because it hurts if you hit them.

I have never been taught anything else and the 30 degree rule is written in stone.

Nev (current PPL) despite what the EU throw at us. :hide:

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

The TV news I saw last night ( which had google earth pictures showing the golf course and the runway ) suggested that this was a failure at about 200 feet, and that he made no attempt to turn back but landed on the course which was just to the left of the extended centre line . Interestingly, research I participated in some years ago suggests that this type of failure is rare , with ( the research showed ) 95% of all failures occurring at the moment of first power reduction

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'd wondered about the 'turning back' message. While the FAA's certification will be slightly different from the CAA's.. I can't imagine that this particular rule is different. His turning back message was probably more wishful thinking and made while he still had the twirly thing going round in front of him. Some reports are quick to praise.. others are quick to 'point out' that this isn't 'Ford's first accident'.. as if the poor bloke is a walking doom machine! I had to laugh at one particular report. The headline read something like 'Ford may be grounded after this incident'. All this report wrote was that he would probably be grounded for insurance reasons.. that is that stars/actors engaging on major movie projects are often forced to sign such agreements written up by production companies who don't want their star breaking a leg falling off a motorbike (for example) causing a delay in shooting. While the story said one thing, the headline suggested something completely different.

Right.. I'll nod off back to sleep again :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!