Your First Airfix Model?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Your First Airfix Model?

Post by Garry Russell »

At least by having experience of the Airfix 1/24 Harrier you could easily see which parts Hawker Siddeley had got wrong 8)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Yep, I was a bit miffed the fuselage didn't split down the middle!

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Don't remember the 1st Airfix that I bought . The 1st I received was a Lancaster , built by my dad in '58 . The 2nd also in '58 , is a Blackburn NA 39 ......
Started to convert it to a Buccaneer Mk 2 [ a la' Airfix magazine ] in '68 .... discovered m/bikes [ saw the 1st Bucc of 12 Sqn at RAF Honington in '69 ] , and gurls ... never finished it then .
Saw the last RAF Buccs aerobatting out of RAF Lossie in '93 as we flew up and down from Aberdeen to Shetland ...................
Finally finished the converted Mk 2 in 1998 for our 4 year old [ Thanks to Airfix spares dept having a new canopy { lost the original } ] .........
Saw my last , last , Bucc in Capetown in '09 just before retirement !
And after all that it's thanks to a Bucc , that I went aviating . Just finished 'O' levels , had had a Sat job on a pig farm since 13 [ Took 2 years to earn enough for a small M/bike ].
The Boss was just offering me a full time job as a stockman , when a Bucc came by low level back to Honington ...... '' sorry what was it you said boss '' ? .....

'' Never mind says he , go back to skool , get 'A' levels and follow your dream '' !

Thank you Peter Jolliffe , best advice I ever had ,

rgds dave f .

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

This thread has obviously brought back heaps of memories for us all, so a BIG thank you for starting it.

The similarities are fascinating.
Like many others here, apart from the aircraft previously posted, I did ships, military vehicles, veteran cars, even a couple of birds and historical figures.
I still remember what an educational experience it was, too; every part had a word description, so you knew what you were dealing with.
Making didn't stop until I got a part time job in greengrocery, bought a Tiger Cub for 30 quid, and spent all future earnings on the bike and fruitless pursuit of a gender other than my own.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

At one time Dinosaurs were the in thing and Airfix released a set. I remember well making a Stegosaurus with my daughter. Base colour then lots of tonal dry brushing. Came out well and it was probably the most enjoyable model I ever built as I didn't have to worry the UC doors were too thick or the wing fences in the wrong place.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

Great thread

My first Airfix model was given to me by an uncle, a Hawker Harrier which came in a clear plastic bag with a small rubber bulb of glue.

My brother and I never looked back and went on to make hundreds of the things from sailing ships to WW2 warships and Those Gun emplacements with a gun that would fire matchsticks. Grandad couldnt understand why his Swan Vestas were always missing.

We painted everything including the small plastic soldiers and they were all well used in our wargames.
As we got older we started building and wargaming with tanks and WW1 aircraft.
For the tanks we got the Airfix World War 2 Wargaming book http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix-ma ... -a-11.html so armed with rulers and dice and laying out books on the living room floor we made a town and battle would commence.
Tanks were often crushed under mums feet and lots of arguments over 'line of sight'

For WW1 dogfights we used the rules from Avalon Hill's 'Richthofens War'

Great times :cheers:

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

As Mike said,this thread has brought back many happy memories for us.I can't remember my first Airfix model but some that I do recall,Airfix and others, were the Canberra ,Westland Whirlwind fighter,the B36 and the Frog DC7C.I think I may have made a Meteor F8 and possibly a Gloster Javelin among many others.One that I've just remembered was the Monogram C47 Skytrain. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

I think my first Airfix model was a VC10, which I them preceded to paint with my mothers nail varnish!

The model I yearned after was a BOAC liveried Concorde that my uncle had unmade for many years!

Gladly I have one now!

Kind regards

John
never give up, never surrender

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Nail varnish! :-O
It must have looked like it had got too close to the fire dump. :lol:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Airspeed wrote:Nail varnish! :-O
It must have looked like it had got too close to the fire dump. :lol:
I bet some motorcycle models would look kinda sharp in nail varnish. :agree: Of course a 1/48 scale Lanc would pretty much clean out mother's varnish supply. :lol:

Brian