All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by airboatr »

There was a hanger at the Stuart Airport where a guy rebuilt Bugatii cars. Replicas I guess.
He had a frame jig , all sorts of milling machines, paint both, the works.

It was always a treat servicing that account. It was an hour drive there so the call always ended up a full day.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Molyned wrote:Ah - this one could run & run Keith :agree:
To Me, as an east-midlander, tatty means old and worn i.e. shabby but not necessarily dirty as chatty does. According to my in-house expert, chatty suggests an unkempt smelly person.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)
Another thought here Dave....Where does that put Alan Carr on Channel 4's programme last night?
( for those not able to view UK TV - there is a chat show host called Alan Carr & the programme title is.....Alan Carr - Chatty man...and does he go on & on & on...)
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Ah, yes,
That was on Australian TV a year or so back, don't know if it still is.
I know that going back into ancient history of entertainment, gays have been prominent, albeit under cover.
The Chatty Man came at a time when it seemed that British TV entertainers had to be openly male gay, or they didn't get the job.

BTW, thanks for mentioning Bugattis, Joe. :thumbsup:

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Hi Mike,

I used to live near The Bugatti Inn https://www.flickr.com/photos/45676495@N05/4624527483/
Close to Prestcott Hill Climb which is owned by the UK Bugatti Owners Club.

But my main reason for posting was the chatty (talkative) guy spent Au$70,000 on a Honda Blackbird :-O Even over four years and given that tyres and chains probably don't last long that's a hell of a lot. I've just found some for sale starting at about Au$4,000.

Jon

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Jon :hello:
According to him, he bought it for about $30,000, and the rest has been service, parts etc. He says the tyres are $1,000 each, and the fairing $7,000.
I checked the local market online too, finding the current highest price of $9.990. I haven't followed the market, but seeing this, I doubt that an out-of-production machine would have fallen to 1/3 original price in 4 or 5 years. Perhaps he bought it brand new in 2007, and I mis-heard his term of ownership. :dunno:
Maybe he's a BS Artist, and that's why someone smashed his car and bike. :dunno:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Mike I'm breaking the rules here but, I have a question about that front tire on the motorcycle

Is it mounted backwards on the wheel? I had bicycle tires with a similar tread pattern and the V cut is set to have the beginning of the cut from the center touching the road first and then the relief last as it rolls forward in motion. eg the water on the road will be shot from center to back and out.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

How are you breaking the rules, Joe?
By spelling "TYRES" in non-Brit fashion?

Looked at several pix of these bikes, and found this, which shows the tread in "pine tree style", Vs inverted, same direction as in my photo *-) :

Against this, I read a page about "directional" tyres, which apparently are marked on the sidewall with the direction of rotation. Those appear to prefer the V looking like a written V from the front. :agree:

I tried to imagine the forces at work, and how they would affect water dispersal, but had to give up. :stupid:

I will pay close attention to what I see in the street, and see if I can establish the general usage. Oh, I might even pop into the local tyre dealer and see what he says. Not that it will count for much, we're all country bumpkins here, and he lives further out than me!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Most tyres for bigger/faster bikes are directional these days and because of the vast difference in sizes between front and rear.. you can't get them mixed up. Incidentally.. back in the days of my Kwak 750 Turbo, I found that handled much better with a rear profile Pirelli Phantom on the front. It was less likely to tank-slap 'one up'!! :) In those days.. front and rear 'profiles' differed.. sometimes greatly. Nowadays.. front and rear profiles (on larger/faster bikes) are pretty much the same ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I thought that the direction of rotation was more to do with the way the plies are laid down in the tyre wall. They are designed to have the plies being stretched when the tyre is under most stress - acceleration for the rear tyre and braking for the front tyre. I also remember that the actual tread pattern has almost no effect on the water displacement abilities of the tyre it's all down to the number and depth of the cuts. The different tread pattern designs are really only to make them distinctive, more butch or sexy. If there was a most effective tread pattern they'd all look the same.

I don't remember where I got these ideas so if someone knows better I'd like to hear about it.

Incidentally I think this bike's a dinosaur that rightly died out. It comes from the time that bike manufacturers wanted to produce the fastest motorcycle. Honda had the Blackbird, Suzuki the Hayabusa and the Kawasaki ZX12R. They all passed the 300kph figure or 186mph in old money the 1999/2000 Hayabusa being clocked at 312kph (194mph) and the next milestone being 200mph. There were a couple of problems one was the prospect of governments, especially the European Union, imposing power limits on bikes and this is usually given as the reason that these bikes either don't exist any more, or are restricted, after the manufactures came to an agreement to limit top speed of 300kph.
But I think that the other reason was that these bikes are not very good on the road. I've ridden a Hayabusa, I rode it quite fast but probably didn't manage more than about half it's potential top speed on the country A roads I was on. The Hayabusa was designed to go as fast as possible and to achieve this it is long and low and the steering is slow all of which is to aid stability at very high speeds in a straight line. This also makes the handling heavy in corners and it's just not that nice to ride. In short the things that make it capable of very high speeds also make it less enjoyable in the real world.

Jon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

To re-open proceedings here.. having had a few fine days and while enjoying a week off work, I thought I'd pull the covers off the Daytona today. I'd no idea what to expect.. the last time I saw it (underneath the covers that is) was during one of those gales we had last year when once again, the wind managed to pull it off the sidestand and over it went. Anger doesn't come close to describing how I felt. This had happened twice in quick succession the previous year resulting in a new RH clip-on and brake lever :rant: When it went over again last year.. the wife had suggested that it might be a good idea to put it on the ABBA stand but the weather didn't appear to warrant it.
Later that day, and not too much later either, the weather went wild. The rain was hitting the ground so hard, it was causing a mist :-O I sat there with my fingers crossed when the daughter screamed.. 'the bikes gone over dad' :wall: I quickly grabbed the ABBA stand, found the adaptors then we rushed outside getting soaked in the process.. pulled the bike off the deck.. fitted the stand then put the covers back on. That's how it's been until today so you can see why I was a little nervous :worried:

Well.. I got away with it this time. The clip-on and brake lever are both still straight and there are no signs of rust. A little bit of oxidisation here and there but that's to be expected. It's been sat on the Optimate all this time so I hoped it had done it's job. I put in the key.. turned on the ignition then pulled in the clutch and hit the starter. Up she started first push :-O :excited: I checked the lights and let it run for a few minutes and all looks ok. I've not checked the horn.. just remembered!

TBH, I thought it's MoT had run out last month but a quick check shows I have until next month. A call to my local MoT man and it's booked in tomorrow morning at 10am (though I could have waited another fortnight or more). I checked the recorded mileage when it was MoT'd last year.. 5901. It's current mileage.. 5961. I managed a whole 60miles on it last year :'(

I'm in two minds what to do with it to be honest with you. You'll probably recall the last time I left it around the front of the house, I got up to find the covers had been pulled back and some toe-rag had obviously had more than a passing interest in it. Undoubtedly, the alarm light flashing on the tacho had stopped it disappearing. From that moment on.. it's been on the back yard.. hence the very low mileage last year. If it were easier to get from the entry to the back step/yard.. it wouldn't worry me but it's a pain in the arse and would mean me having to get up at least 15mins earlier in the mornings. On a 7am start, this is already 0520. I wouldn't want to be farting about getting it back on to the back yard after a late either so finding a time when I would actually use it isn't as easy as it might seem. I don't want to get rid of it for so many reasons but I hate it sitting on the yard doing nothing for months on end too. Do I sell it or do I keep it?? *-)

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!