Iris Grob G115E

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Iris Grob G115E

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps :hello:

A quick HU to let you know that Iris have released a Grob G115E for FSX and P3D. FSX/P3D versions are $34.99au(£18.27) and the download with both is $49.99au. More detail can be found here.. http://www.irissimulations.com.au/ols/i ... JhyCP3c,43

Lots of UAS paints on 4096 maps though to be honest.. my current monitor's default res of 1440x900 doesn't display maps of this size particularly well (note to self.. get a new monitor) :lol: I chipped out and bought the model (a sucker for anything with a Fly Navy sticker) and had a quick flight from Culdrose to Lands End. Nothing broke.. no manual read (there's a lot of it in around 5 parts) and I can see it getting fair use. It's a little twitchy on the flaps and needs nose up trim but the blurb states that pilots with time on the real thing had direct input so I guess it's all as should be. At this point I'd have posted a screenie but when I went to save it.. nothing was there (RTFM) :lol:

I'd like to be able to say it's outstanding for 18quid.. I'm not sure I can. The model is very nicely done but zoom in on the instruments and they're not as 'round'.. or should I say spherical.. as I'd have liked. Still.. the screenshots didn't lie.. I kinda hoped they did. It doesn't give the same sort of photo-real image you get sitting in the Vulcan (the panel) but it's nicely done. Crew figures really look the part. In the RN example I've flown (G-BYVF) the crew wear RN wings. I like that sort of touch :rock: I've no doubt that the crews in the RAF airframes are similarly suited and booted ;) View out is much better than expected. David Brice has done a good job of balancing what you need to see (instrument-wise) and the view forward. No frantic shift+Crtn necessary ;) The interior layout looks just like the real thing.. conventional instruments and everything where you expect it to be.

Oh.. and for users with (now) low-end machines (I'm talking i5 here).. frames are good despite the massive maps :thumbsup:

I like it.. simple as that ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Iris Grob G115E

Post by DaveG »

Thanks for the mini-review Dave. :thumbsup:
Of note, there's also a try-before-you-buy demo. Single RAF paint, & limited to 5000ft around the RAF Cranwell area.

edit: couple of screenies of the demo version in P3d:

Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I missed the TBYB but I'd have probably still bought it anyway.. it's difficult to resist anything with so many 'G' paints :lol: Not sure I'll ever get above 5000ft though so the TBYB version is a good option if it's not time limited. Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Here's a quick set..

:)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

That looks lovely ! I won't be indulging, but it really looks first class, at least from the outside. Thanks for the heads-up and impressions, Dave. :)

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

Have you got any interior shots please? Looks lovely from the outside.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Rob :hello:

I'll knock some up for you ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

OK.. here we go :)

This is the default view out..

+A..

+AA..

+AAA..

Def view zoomed out and to the left (Instructor always sits in the RH seat)..

.. and finally, from the outside in..
In this view, the panel is a static bitmap.. not a 3D view as such. I cranked open the throttle and none of the instruments moved.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

Thanks Dave, appreciate it. :)

I might be tempted! Shame about the static external panel view though.......

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Aye Rob..

There has to be a logical explanation why this is so but I can't put my finger on it at the moment. I've just looked in a lot of models and most have gauges 'visibly' working in an outside view. The default Cessna does not but by some coincidence, the old Iris P-40 does so Iris certainly know how to do it *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage