Engines need a tune-up?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

aeroart
Viscount
Viscount

Engines need a tune-up?

Post by aeroart »

I'm having a problem with David Maltby's HS Trident 3. His after-takeoff check calls for flaps up at 190 kts and slats up at 225. But in order to accelerate to those speeds, I have to level off! The engines appear to be developing full power; I have to retard the throttles a bit to keep the temps below the red range on the gauges.

Has anyone else who has flown this airplane had this problem? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Art

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Engines need a tune-up?

Post by DaveB »

Hi Art :hello:

It's been a long time since I've flown the T3 but from what I remember, it does have to be worked a little. This said.. I think the profile is quite realistic. Rarely would you take-off 'RW' and rocket straight into your climb to alt :) I noted during testing that if you use something like the built-in FS flightplanner to plan your flight.. it's likely that the aircraft will stall at some point during the ascent under AP because the ROC it produces is completely unrealistic. I used FSNavigator for FS9 and this worked perfectly. Instead of blindly forcing the model to alt at an unrealistic V/S, it measured V/S against airspeed and would back-off the ROC to maintain a safe minimum speed.

The T3 model will not shoot to FL300 at a V/S of 2000+ fpm and neither would the real one ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

aeroart wrote:I'm having a problem with David Maltby's HS Trident 3. The engines appear to be developing full power; I have to retard the throttles a bit to keep the temps below the red range on the gauges. t
If you are taking off from anywhere in England, that is good news for you because your plane is helping you observe the noise pollution laws of England :lol: :lol: :lol:

Because of noise pollution laws in England, Trident pilots always reduced throttles after take off which in my opinion was nuts :doh: :doh:

Real life Trident pilot Peter McLeland who is member of CB forums here will tell you that reducing throttle power after take off is correct unless he tells me I am mistaken.

At least, your plane is helping you to comply with England's noise pollutions. :excited: :excited: :tunes: :tunes:

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. :lol:

I doubt very much if noise pollution was an issue with the T3 (or any Spey engined aircraft) until near the end of it's operational days when the plug was pulled for that very reason. Point is.. you don't takeoff with the taps wide open and climb to alt straight away. The SE of England is absolutely packed with controlled airspace where at certain sectors, you have to be at certain altitudes and speeds. I guess a vague exception to this would have been Concorde (which generally departed West) and was given a lot more freedom to get the hell out of there. It had to abide by noise abatement regs and chop the throttles shortly after takeoff. It was still loud having done that! :tunes:

I'm sure if PeterM see's this thread.. he'll confirm the T3 models performance and having been a T3 Captain for some years.. he knows what he's talking about ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Well I've been retired since January 1986 so my memory is getting a bit rusty...There was a "noise abatement" throttle back from full power to ? at so many seconds from take-off. Then a bit later when cleared up the climb by ATC we would climb at max cont RPM and I can't remember what that was. As for speed...Well we did NOT have a 250kts limit below 10,000 feet in those days and I tended to let the speed increase slowly to well over 300kts (maybe as much as 330kts) and then when the Mach number came up to 0.8, I would ease the nose up to keep the mach needle there and the airspeed would slowly decline with altitude...If the mach just increased a bit more then I would just allow it rather than correct it back and I might well reach the top of climb with the mach number already approaching 0.85M. At the top of climb we would level and reduce power to hold 0.85M but later in the cruise as it slowly increased I would not reduce any more power than that necessary to keep it at 0.86M...I liked 0.86M!

I hope that helps...I have not flown the Trident Model in FS9 for a few years but I do remember that it was remarkably like the real aeroplane...I have never used it in FSX so could not comment on that.

aeroart
Viscount
Viscount

Post by aeroart »

Without actually admitting that I have an ATP, the reason my Trident either kept falling out of the sky or refused to accelerate was because I misunderstood the sim's flap and slat controls. Let's just call it "instructor error" and keep this all to ourselves.

Thank you all for you replies.

Art

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Art.. really!! :lol:

The important thing is you're up and running :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

aeroart
Viscount
Viscount

Post by aeroart »

True. Thanks, Dave.

Art

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Just as a postscript to this , the T3 had the fourth engine ( RB162 ? ) which had to be started separately, precisely to cater for hot and high/max gross departures. If you fell into this category and did not use the booster, then performance might be marginal as seen by Art

Charlie Hotel
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Charlie Hotel »

Art,

I have had the same issue, but it appears normal for the Trident... It was said on this forum once that the only way you could get the Trident to climb was to use the curvature of the Earth!

But it is true that you need to use piloting skills to get it up - let it get up to speed then gradually start climbing, you will see the climb rate improve with altitude, hopefully!

CH