JF Tornado on Pre-Order!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Re: JF Tornado on Pre-Order!

Post by Chris Sykes »

Well I tired Friday night without the Map and Terrain Radar showing, got better FPS around 12-15 in VC. One thing in Prepar3d was that autogen slowly disappears when low level between 4/500 knots which is very annoying, I even turned down the autogen amount and still it disappeared.

I flew out of Gib over the Med which actually was quite ok on performance.

I downloaded and installed the patch after which my prepar3d showed the default aircraft error. Sadly didn't have time to check out the patch.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Likewise mate.. I see better FR's flying out of Diego Garcia than off Cornwall :lol: I actually took it up (was able to take it up) the Mach Loop after the patch and performance increased a little more when I unlocked my FR's but the tradeoff was micro-stutters (instead of dirty great big ones) and when I get around to it.. my AI ships will judder as will my AI formation traffic. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to turn everything off just to fly the Tornado. Talking of turning things off.. I've yet to turn any of the gauges on. I did get brave and turn the nav lights on once :lol:

I think DG has hit the nail on the head with what he said over at SoH.. the model sizes are HUGE.. both inside and out. Drawcalls are almost off the scale!! :-O I honestly can't see the point in making a model that will on its own.. eat up as much available resource that FSX can offer. Surely that can't be getting it to the widest possible audience?? *-)

Anywho.. had an email from them today saying that a patch will be released this week addressing the issues I raised (8-12fps) so we'll see what happens. They're a good bunch over there and JF remains my No.1 FS software company ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

There's no doubt the Tonka is a lovely model, but I'm sure they could cut those file sizes in half without loosing any functionality.
We shall see what the patch brings. :)
Dave G.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

I have been emailing Martyn with bugs that I have spotted as I missed out on this Beta due to the move. :'( It runs really well around Gib, that's with the patched version, need to check whats turned off, but so far its better in Prepar3d.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

SP1 is available now at JF. No chance to try it as I'm out to work but I'll give it a run when I get back ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Thanks for HU Dave, will try that later as well. :thumbsup:
Dave G.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Now that some of you intrepid early adopters have had SP1 on board for a while what's the general opinion on performance of JF's Tornado? I'm seriously tempted but if it still runs like a three legged dog I think I'll wait for SP2.

Regards,
Chris

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

In a word: Crap. :( It's now uninstalled. I'll try again if and when the next SP comes out. :|
Dave G.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Thanks Dave. That's a real shame - it has (had?) so much promise. I think I'll steer clear until it's fixed. If still no good then I may invest instead in the VRS Superbug that you and Dave B have been having so much fun with. I spotted the references to the Tornado's performance there after my query here, Crap says the same thing but with feeling. :lol:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

The Tornado is so frustrating. I really, really want to like it. The modelling and texturing are first class and the systems are very complete, albeit with a few bugs still outstanding.
Various beta testers crop up on some forums claiming it works fine for them, and FPS were never an issue etc, but something is definitely not right with it. My PC isn't cutting edge, but it's not a slouch either & can handle most other stuff fairly easily.
I do hope they sort it out, but unless they find something that was drastically wrong, I'm not holding my breath.
Dave G.