uninstalling FSX

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

uninstalling FSX

Post by 233SQN »

Folks… appreciate your guidance on this one…..

I have FSX installed twice on one PC, on a fast C drive that I use frequently and has all my extras and tweaks, and on a larger but slower D drive that I don’t use.

I want to uninstall FSX from the D drive so that I can do a fresh install of Steam FSX on it. I don’t want to uninstall from the C drive.

When I insert the FSX disc to initiate the uninstall, it asks I f I want to permanently uninstall FSX, but doesn’t ask which one. I haven’t been brave enough to say yes to find out if that’s the next question in the uninstall process!

Any suggestions?

Also… any views on the Steam FSX.. I’ve read it’s smoother and better?

Thanks!
Thanks

Colin Bear

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: uninstalling FSX

Post by DaveB »

Hi Colin :hello:

Off the top of my head.. I'd look in the registry to see what drive is being referenced. I can't imagine Windows would have let you install it twice giving you 2 registry entries so I'm betting there is only one key in there for it. I'd guess that which ever install is referenced will be the one the FSX disc will uninstall.

I've no experience of FSX SE but I've read reports on how much quicker it is. True.. Dovetail have dotted some i's and crossed some t's but I'd imagine a lot of the perceived speed is due to the fact it's a fresh install and not bogged down with years worth of rubbish :)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I can't comment on the uninstall issue but I can comment on the Steam edition of FSX as I recently made the move myself, having bought it in December of last year.

In my old version I was having some mini-stutter issues and white flashes across the scenery when panning which had been bugging me for months plus it was bogged down after several years of use with seldom used planes and left over gauges and effects from planes I had ditched long ago. So it had to go.

Before installing the Steam edition I made sure all remnants of the old FSX were gone (apart from backing up stuff I didn't want to lose like 'SimObjects' folders, custom stuff etc.) and then I cleared out the registry where there were still quite a few FSX entries left. The install from Steam went well even though I pointed it at a non-standard location and it runs just fine. I have noticed that it is a lot smoother in operation, the graphics seem a lot brighter and sharper (inside and out) and even the stock VC's look bright and sharp instead of dull and blurry.

Not sure what Dovetail have tweaked but I can say I like what I am seeing so far.
Larry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

I didn’t install it on the second drive using the CD, I just copied the entire folder from C to D…. which makes me think I could just delete the folder and let anything else that gets left behind get overwritten by the fresh Steam install?

Or am I just being naive? :dunno: :dunno:
Thanks

Colin Bear

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Colin,
I think that your solution sounds OK.
Whether they'll let you install SE on the drive of your choice is another question. I agree with what Dave said about two installations on one computer.
From my limited experience of reinstalls, I've never lost aircraft or scenery, but settings and scenery libraries have to be re-activated.
It's the programme that you're installing, not add ons.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Larry,
You said:
"I have noticed that it is a lot smoother in operation, the graphics seem a lot brighter and sharper (inside and out) and even the stock VC's look bright and sharp instead of dull and blurry.

Not sure what Dovetail have tweaked but I can say I like what I am seeing so far."

Ok, maybe Dovetail did something, but I wonder if your graphics card settings are playing a part in this?
I ask because I browsed NVIDIA recently, and noticed that I can adjust brightness, contrast etc. , then either let the card or running programme determine the settings.
A little knowledge can be dangerous, I know.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Hi Mike, I made no changes to my graphic card drivers nor to nVidia Inspector when I switched to the Steam edition. Everything was exactly the same and I saw a definite improvement in both visual clarity and smoothness in use. I'm not even using the latest and greatest nVidia drivers either.
Larry

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

If all you did was manually copy the FSX folder over to the "D" drive, then you should be OK to just delete it.
It may be worthwhile to use one of the FSX registry tools such as the "Flight 1 Registry repair tool" to check / set the correct paths in the registry before you go ahead.
Dave G.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Thx for your advice folks.

I’ve read that the Steam version has been completely recompiled using Visual basic instead of C++ (whatever that means) along with a host of other changes under the bonnet. The nett effect is a doubling of frame rates is possible on low end systems.

Personally I’m getting involved because our ATC (RAF Cadets) Wing are rolling out free set ups (PC, screen, rudder pedals, yoke, headsets and a Steam version of FSX) to all ATC squadrons along with a training syllabus, and part of my role is to implement the training program, so I’m trying to get some familiarity especially with the multiplayer which has changed completely.

If anyone out there has time to spare your local ATC Sqn would welcome your support, go along…. it can be very rewarding!
Thanks

Colin Bear