Windows 10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Windows 10

Post by Dev One »

I will have to try a reload then; all I get for AFSD is a message 'AFSD doesn't support OS prior to Windows 2000'.
Air Ed works OK, but AAM opens but when you look at an air file all the items have 4x ? as their value.
I also need to check to see if Autocad works too.
Keith

P.S.
Uninstalled AAM, then re-installed, AOK now, but AFSD, no joy doing the same & don't know what to do, so might have to send message to Herve?
K

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

It seems that even some of the "old" games are no longer entirely free, and, if you need to re-install Win10 after changing some hardware, your free upgrade may not remain a free upgrade - you may be charged for the re-install ...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... post971473

:OB:

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Ok guys Fiorello Henry La Guardia The Mayor of New York said in 1933 "there aint no free lunch"
Windows 10 is a smart move by Microshaft as they try to get everyone on board with a free OS then hit them down the line with charges, you will find your paying for everything in time..... They are a business and need to make money, think of the razor and razor blade analogy Gillette came up with an idea, "make the razor cheap then we hit them for the blades"

I cannot think of one thing I want from Windows 10 that Windows 7 does not do, I do not want fancy crappy icons, I do not want Microshaft looking at everything I do, download and checking my software for legitimacy.. I do not wish to have what little control of my life I have left eroded by this latest software.

I know I will upset a few here but Microshaft have baited the hook thrown the line into the river and bingo they are filling their keep net up!!

There will always be people wanting to pay over the odds for the latest bit of kit, some even queue through the night to get things like the iWatch!!! I may be sad and not have much of a life but I would rather watch that shouting match they call Eastbenders on BBC rather than waste what time God, Buddha or any other potential afterlife imaginary friend deems I have left.

But hey I am in the minority thats asks "Why do I need to do this, why change when what I have works well"
Oh yeah in 2017 they will cut off updates... well I will worry about that then...... Until that day happens you wont find me wasting aweekend piddling about loading stuff up that worked pretty well previously on Win 7.... I can mess up the software I have already without doing it on purpose :thumbsup:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Too right, Tony. I will soon be bringing my old BigBeast back online, to take over from Ol' Faithful, the Win98SE machine which has been handling all my comms and Office97 things since about 2001.
BigBeast is a Win XP3 machine. The current flying machine is SuperBeast - Win7 Home Premium x64, as is its little brother MiniBeast. I see no reason to change the OS on any of them. Microsoft might stop providing updates, but the machines will soldier on.
MikeW

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

My current BigBeast is a dual Win7 / WinXP machine but has recently decided that USB is too much like hard work - works fine with a mouse, keyboard and one external drive attached, but the mouse in particular keeps going offlne if I connect another USB drive. It's only about three years old too ...

So now I'm about to find out what happens when you use the CD / DVD to make a "new" XP install with m$ having withdrawn support. Will the update service still give me all those updates that used to be available, or will there be nothing there but a basic SP3 build ? But first I have to buy the new bits to change BigBeast into SuperBeast ...

Computers - bah, humbug !

M$ - expletives deleted !!!

:wall:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Re my problem with AFSD: Found that I had v3, there is now V4.34 available & that works OK.
Jury still out though on it being better than 8.1, will give it time though.
Keith

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Although Win10 is "OK", I'd decided I was going to roll back to Win7, then maybe upgrade again in 6 months or so. Fat chance! Clicked on the "Go back to Windows 7" button & up pops a message saying: "We're sorry, but you can't go back. The files we need to take you back to a previous version of Windows were removed from this PC". They're not, they are still there, 20+gb of it. :rant:
So it looks like I'm staying with 10 unless I fancy doing a clean install. 8)
Beware...
Dave G.

ajb
Comet
Comet

Post by ajb »

Tony,

Just read your recent post. I must say that I am 100% with you on all of your comments. Why fix what ain't broke? So I'll stick with Win7 (which I don't really like very much but it's better than Vista) where I keep FSX. Fortunately on the same PC I also have XP (which I really rate) and which runs FS9 like a dream. Tried (very foolishly - possibly after too much booze) to download Win10. Where I am speeds are dire and it took about 7 hours to download then without my asking, started to install. After another 6 hours it was still "updating" and was 25% through !!!! So I killed it and destroyed the GWX (get win 10) entries in windows\system32 to prevent any further foolishness.

Andy

BTW Rohan, I had to reinstall XP from scratch recently. I wondered if the many updates would disappear but Windows update re-downloaded them. So even after the support cutoff, all previous updates seem to be available and will automatically reapply once your XP is back to SP3 level.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 4.2GHz
AsusTeK Prime B450M-A Motherboard
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 4Gb
3x 250Gb SSD + 1x 1Tb HDD

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Andy,
Many thanks for that input. It'll be a couple of weeks before I have the parts to build the new machine since I'm taking the opportunity to replace the CPU & GPU as well, but I'll look forward to downloading that couple of hundred updates for XP yet again ! At least this time it's just the o/s ones ...

By the way, I share your opinion of Win7 and the dreaded Vista - why is it that XP can happily remember the size, location and settings of hundreds of windows but these supposedly updated versions sometimes can't even remember the last window used ? Vista was banned from my employer's PCs until some bright spark realised that it was the only way to inhibit the use of USB devices, at which point it became mandated for every PC - even those older ones that didn't meet the minimum requirements.

Even so, I'll accept Win7 for its better memory management for running FSX Acceleration / SE now that I have OSX for browsing and downloading, while having good old XP for the best sims FS9 and CFS2. And once I have the new GPU I'll be exploring FSX DX10. Anyway, thanks again for that information,
Regs,
Ro
:cheers:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

DaveG wrote:Although Win10 is "OK", I'd decided I was going to roll back to Win7, then maybe upgrade again in 6 months or so. Fat chance! Clicked on the "Go back to Windows 7" button & up pops a message saying: "We're sorry, but you can't go back. The files we need to take you back to a previous version of Windows were removed from this PC". They're not, they are still there, 20+gb of it. :rant:
So it looks like I'm staying with 10 unless I fancy doing a clean install. 8)
Beware...
If thats the case with other people it ought to be publicised a lot more, otherwise so much for M$ promises!
Not tried reverting yet, as wife seems to be getting used to W10, now that we've sussed how to reduce the dross on the screen.
Keith