Garry Russell

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Garry Russell

Post by tonymadge »

This was the news I feared. I had the pleasure of spending time with Garry and his late Mother in Guernsey a few years back where he took me round the Island and gave me a hsitoric tour of his home land. He was as detailed in his knowledge of the history of Guernsey as he was in his work on FS. I was hoping that he would return to FS work once he had settled in is new home and his health had improved, in fact we had discussed some potential projects.
Before he moved to his new country I had a surprise visit from Aija and Garry who had came over to the UK. I had a good chat with them and it was the happiest I had seen Garry for years, full of positivity and hope. He knew his condidtion was time limited but he was making the best of it while he could and I had plans to fly over and stay with them this year. Sadly I could never find contact with Garry via address and email and made numerous attempts to locate him to find out how he was. The news I had now was a shock although I fered the worst.
I will miss his honesty forthrightness and brilliance not only in FS but also in his humour. I will have fond memoriesof the time we had together to chat and look around Guernsey.
Sad days but in refelection he was at a happier time of his life than he had been for a long time and we all deserve some happiness I am glad Garry found his.
I will fly Garry's work in FS often as I enjoyed his work and company and it will be fitting to use his talents even though he is no longer around to chat and joke with.
Wherever you are mate I wish you the best it was an honour to know you :'(
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

DaveB wrote:This is so true. I only got to meet Garry 'face to face' last year though when his car pulled up outside my house..
don't tell me he drove up wearing that brown paper sack.... the crazy man :worried:
:lol: ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No.. but he did remind me of Jack Duckworth a little. JD was a character from the long running soap Coronation Street and was famous for having sticking plaster holding his glasses together. Garry didn't have sticking plaster but he did have one arm missing. How the hell he kept them on his head I'll never know :lol: I'm glad to say he had another pair on the next time he came :)

ATB
DaveB :)
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

DaveB wrote: he did have one arm missing.

ATB
DaveB :)
:doh: for a second, i thought you meant his actual galldarn Arm!

Ok, i gotcha now, ... thinking about it now. .. his web cam didn't show past his shoulders .... :wasntme:

I'll go make some more coffee 8)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'll go make some more coffee 8)
Just done the same :thumbsup:

ATB
Dave :)
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Was just thinking last week if anything had been heard from Garry. He will be sorely missed even with those terrible puns! RIP Garry.

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

My sincere sadness at hearing this news and condolences to his family at this sad time. I remember lots of 'chats' with Garry back in the days of MS Messenger when we used to team up on many occasions. He was very keen on early Civilian aircraft and I remember sending him two Farnborough DVD's many years ago which I know he enjoyed immensely as that was his great interest.

He will remain as one of the most decent chaps I have had the pleasure of interacting with over the years...see you topsides one day my friend.

BrianG

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Thanks for posting this sad news Dave.

Garry was a good friend, we used to sympathise with each other as being the world's two most obsessive Viscount addicts. In reality, he'd forgotten more than I knew historically. A huge talent and a proper gent, I will miss him enormously.

Fraser

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Very sorry to hear the news about Gary. Although I never met him, I felt I knew the guy through the forum. Very knowledgeable in all things aeronautic
RIP mate
Dale
Image Image Image

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

How dreadfully sad that he should have such a short time with his wife in their new home. Garry's contribution to this forum and the wider aviation community was without equal on every level.

Condolences to his remarkable lady and his family.