Sulzer 7 cylinder marine engine

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Sulzer 7 cylinder marine engine

Post by alemaobaiano »

I know that we have lots of ex Navy/Merchant Marine types around here who already know about these things, but today I had to fit a camera in the engine room of the FSPO I'm on and came face to face with the biggest bloody engine I've ever seen. The things is HUGE, standing by the cylinder heads there are four more floors before you get to the bottom of the beast. I've seen them on TV of course, but simply wasn't prepared for the size of one up close and personal.

There's not much that has me doing goldfish impressions these days, but that Sulzer 7 cylinder engine certainly did :RN:

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Sulzer 7 cylinder marine engine

Post by Paul K »

The biggest Sulzer I ever sailed with was the nine cylinder 9RD90, of about 18000 HP. The actual biggest engine of all was a 10 cylinder Burmeister & Wain. Its difficult to describe how big these engines were, but suffice it to say you could walk round inside the crankcases. ( When it was stopped, obviously. )

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Paul K wrote:suffice it to say you could walk round inside the crankcases. ( When it was stopped, obviously. )
I can't remember the film title, but John Wayne did it while it was running :OT:
George

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Oh, is THAT when they started line dancing?

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

GHD wrote:
Paul K wrote:suffice it to say you could walk round inside the crankcases. ( When it was stopped, obviously. )
I can't remember the film title, but John Wayne did it while it was running :OT:
Was it something like this? :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqVqxWU-Itg

Brian

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I believe the part of Sulzer that makes these large engines is now Wärtsilä, near Winterthur. We (the IMechE, Switzerland branch) visited their R&D site a couple of years ago. The bores are so large you could stand in there! They also talked of propshafts 250m or more long. Incredible!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

GHD wrote: I can't remember the film title, but John Wayne did it while it was running :OT:
:lol: That's one hundred and twelve revs per minute, Pilgrim.